Is My Lacto Dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmcint01

Reaction score
Made a starter with Wyeast 5335 on Tuesday and kept at 90 degrees. I saw activity whatsoever. Pitched into a Gose I brewed Saturday. 24 hrs later still no activity. Is my lacto dead? Should I repitch a new pouch of it?

Thanks

How are you determining that there was no activity? Airlock? It is likely this culture of Lactobacillus is homofermentive, meaning (very generally) no CO2 production. Thus, it must be used in conjunction with a Saccharomyces strain.

I thought I'd be able to see something, like krausen. I'm seeing something form now. I do plan on pitching yeast as well.

There might be a light foam that will turn into a film with bubbles in it called a pellicle. The souring bugs don't really make a krausen, but you should get one when you pitch your yeast. Which yeast variety are you using?

If it is homofermentative, you will likely see nothing.

I see no benefit to a starter with lacto. The long lag phase has little to do with the amount of lacto pitched. Once the lacto starts to work, souring will be relatively quick.

I usually sour for 7 days at 90 F. It can take a while. Taste the wort to ensure it us soured before adding any yeast. Once the yeast start work, souring will slow down. The difference is a 4 week sour beer or a 12 month (maybe) sour beer.

I should have taken a picture before I left the house this morning. It looks like a small krausen layer to me. It could be something else. I did warm it back up to 80 to make this form. Going to let it fall back to 69 and pitch US-05.

Back