Is my kit expired?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jomo1550

Reaction score
image.jpg
This was given to me as a gift in December of 2020. I had forgotten about it until now. The yeast expired last year but I could get that no problem. Would you guys consider this “expired” after 23 months. It’s been stored in a dark cabinet. Only ever done two batches of home brew so forgive my ignorance. Thanks.

The milled specialty grains may not be in great shape, even though they were sealed. DME is fine. Hops are probably not great either, if they were room temp for almost 2 years.

I can see the yeast is a Lallemand and the hops are EKG's... Some English Ale? Looking at the amount, is this a one-gallon kit?
Even up to the 1960's, a lot of UK brewers routinely brewed with year-old (or more) hops and grain (albeit not milled). Just go ahead and make it either as is or if you can/are willing to buy bits: If it's less than five gallons, there's probably enough vitality in the one yeast packet for it. The hops, if they don't smell like socks, won't be quite as bitter or aromatic as fresher ones, but can still work. I am assuming here that the grains are just for steeping and not a full mash..
Personally, I'd make it as is, but maybe add an extra quarter to half oz of fresh hops, and maybe (but only maybe and not likely) get a newer yeast.
Go for it and tell us how it turns out. :)

I brewed a 2 year old 1 gallon all grain kit and it was a good enough beer. Used all the stuff that it came with.

I've never used extract, but I've heard of others that brewed kits way way older than yours.

You won't lose much but your own time by trying. Even if it turns out bad, you'll still learn something and gain experience.

The milled specialty grains may not be in great shape, even though they were sealed. DME is fine. Hops are probably not great either, if they were room temp for almost 2 years.
I can see the yeast is a Lallemand and the hops are EKG's... Some English Ale? Looking at the amount, is this a one-gallon kit?
Even up to the 1960's, a lot of UK brewers routinely brewed with year-old (or more) hops and grain (albeit not milled). Just go ahead and make it either as is or if you can/are willing to buy bits: If it's less than five gallons, there's probably enough vitality in the one yeast packet for it. The hops, if they don't smell like socks, won't be quite as bitter or aromatic as fresher ones, but can still work. I am assuming here that the grains are just for steeping and not a full mash..
Personally, I'd make it as is, but maybe add an extra quarter to half oz of fresh hops, and maybe (but only maybe and not likely) get a newer yeast.
Go for it and tell us how it turns out. :)
Thanks for the reply! I’ll give it a go!

I brewed a 2 year old 1 gallon all grain kit and it was a good enough beer. Used all the stuff that it came with.

I've never used extract, but I've heard of others that brewed kits way way older than yours.

You won't lose much but your own time by trying. Even if it turns out bad, you'll still learn something and gain experience.
That’s my thought. What’s the worst that could happen? Thanks!

If you have a homebrew store nearby, I'd get a new ounce of the same (East) Kent Goldings or other British hops.
If not, use what you have, as the others said.

While there, maybe get another pouch of (British Ale) yeast, just in case the kit yeast doesn't take off. That said, I've used dry yeast that was also sealed, like yours, and 5 years past date, without any problems. Chances are it will still be fine, it's a lower gravity wort, and only a gallon. Normally a 1/5-1/4 pack is enough for a 1 gallon batch, as the whole pouch is intended for 5 gallons. But since it's older, use the whole pack.

If it tastes bad, just mix it with some grapefruit juice or lemonade. That’s what I did with a blonde kit I got for free that was a couple years old

just brew it. bet it will turn out fine and drinkable.

don't bother adding any extra hops or grains. There is no way to tell how much the old ones have "fadded" in any appreciable amount, if they have. Nor how much to "supplement". You will never "correct" it back to the original expected outcome.

Just go with what you got and enjoy.

@jomo1550 : there are articles / topics that cover 1) proper storage of ingredients, 2) techniques for evaluating the quality of ingredients, and 3) off flavors from stale ingredients. Consider doing a little web searching to track down these articles and try out the ideas on this batch.

just brew it. bet it will turn out fine and drinkable.

don't bother adding any extra hops or grains. There is no way to tell how much the old ones have "fadded" in any appreciable amount, if they have. Nor how much to "supplement". You will never "correct" it back to the original expected outcome.

Just go with what you got and enjoy.
I agree. You won't be out much more than a packet of yeast and your time. It will produce alcohol but the flavor will be a question mark

I agree. You won't be out much more than a packet of yeast and your time. It will produce alcohol but the flavor will be a question mark
Yeast? Use the yeast with the kit. Probably very viable.

I've used dry yeast four years out of date with great results.

To be safe, I'd get some Safale S-04 and some fresh hops and roll with it.

Are the crushed grains vacuum sealed? If so they may be fair.

Back