Is my cider infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jono210

Reaction score
Hey guys, brand new to the forum.

I successfully made some pretty decent cider last fall. Following that success, I started two gallons of cider this past January. One was made with Lalvin EC-1118, the other with Nottingham Ale Yeast. Both were made from a combination of Trader Joe's brand organic unfiltered juice and some hand pressed fresh juice from store bought apples. I added some brown sugar and apple juice concentrate to the Lalvin EC-1118, and got to about 10% abv. I added a little apple juice concentrate to the Nottingham Ale Yeast batch and got to about 7% abv. I used homemade yeast nutrient made from raisins and dates, and both batches got pectic enzyme.

I racked both batches after about a month and let them sit until early April. The batch made with Lalvin EC-1118 was fully cleared so I bottled it. The Nottingham Ale Yeast batch was not clear at all, so I decided to rack it again. Two weeks later , I noticed the Nottingham Ale Yeast batch had some white specks floating on the top. I have no clue what this stuff is. The cider smells absolutely normal and is at this point clear enough that I want to bottle. Does this stuff mean my cider is infected?

I took some photos the best I could using a flashlight and my phone camera. Here they are 1 2

I admit, there is more head space on this gallon than I am used to, because this is the first time I racked a cider twice. You cannot see in the pictures (because I had to zoom so much), but there is about four inches of head space.

It's impossible to tell from the photos, but it doesn't look good if the cider has been aging for a while.

Headspace is probably the reason for any contaminants that could have taken hold.

Welcome to the forum. The photos are way too blurry to tell what's going on. Might be infection. Might be yeast "rafts". That's a lot of headspace though. Did you sanitize the raisins and dates?

Latest posts

Back