Is My Bottling Bucket Usable After Spent Grains Fermented In It?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apendecto

Reaction score
My dad wanted me to save my grains from my last batch to test out a new mash tun he made. I tossed them into my bottling bucket and the grains sat there for a few days...now it's more like a week. I opened the bucket and it smelled like wine and alcohol that burned my nose.

I don't know if it just fermented by natural yeast or if I've got some bacterial thing going on but my main concern is will it contaminate batches I bottle out of it?

Thanks.

You could do the above, and after that, I personally would put some sanitizer in there and let that sit for a day.

Then just to be safe you can throw used rags in that bottling bucket and buy a new one for brew day. j/k

Sanitization should be the same regimen regardless of whether it was a wild yeast, bacteria or your favorite sacc strain (if it smelled like alcohol principally then it was most likely wild yeast IMHO). It's only a problem if you have scratches or cut in the plastic where nasties can hide.

Back