Is my Belgian Wit ready for secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmcwood

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I made a Belgian wit about 2 weeks ago with WYL400 and I forgot to take an OG reading before pitching a 1L starter. My OG after pitching was 1030. It has been in primary for 2 weeks and stopped bubbling about 5 days ago. I just took another reading and I'm down to 1012. Should I be all good to go? This is my first time forgetting to take an OG reading and I feel a little lost. Here is the recipe if that helps showing my OG should have been about 1048. Initial tastings are very good! :tank:

http://hopville.com/recipe/867535/witbier-recipes/something-with-a-witty-name

I left my wit in the primary for a month but it was done fermenting in about a week. I would say skip the secondary. I would also take another reading in a few days to ensure the fermentation is done before bottling.

definitely skip secondary. I have done several with WLP400 and after 3 weeks they were all ready to go. Wit is good young and after a couple weeks in bottle it should be delicious. Definitely make sure it is finished with the readings though. That yeast flocculates for crap.. but of course that's good for the style! Hell. at 1.012 I'm pretty sure you're good to go.

Awesome. I never thought of skipping the secondary; I have just always done it. I will take another reading in about 2 days to make sure nothings changed and then keg away. Thanks for the input on this one.

Back