Is my beer infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've brewed a Sam Adams Summer Ale Clone and I had trouble with the boil(did not feel it was vigorous enough and the fermentation smelled like crap. I used the kit from AHS and the Yeast was the California Ale yeast. It has been primary for three weeks and I just transferred it to the secondary today. It had a really healthy looking cake, but a really nasty looking top when I opened it up. It smells like beer, but has a skunky aroma to it. Here's what it looked like:

April18 237.jpg

no that doesnt look at all like an infection
cap it back up and let it sit ...sounds like a pretty typical smell all the yeast and trub will fall out (drop to the bottom) have you taken a gravity reading?
search for infections and look at the pictures ...almost all are white (my two infeced batches were) it will give you a good idea of what an infected batch really looks like

My gravity was jacked up initially so I really don't know where I should be. It was supposed to have an oh of 1.052 but when I did it in my hydrometer tube, it messed up and said 1.020. I tried the same method today for consistency and it still read 1.020. I watched this thing ferment, quite vigorously I might add for three days. Also when I transferred it to the secondary it was crystal clear so clarity is not an issue. I am toying with kegging the beer in a week and setting it in a closet until June 13 when I plan to consume it. Any ideas or pointers?

Was this a vial of the White Labs California ale yeast? I refused to use a starter I made from it for my last beer as it smelled like vinegar MAJORLY. I just capped my fermenter, went to the LHBS got another vial of WLP001 (California Ale yeast) and just smelling that from the vial smelled like vinegar. Again, refused to use it. I just pitched my backup of Nottingham... Maybe there is something going on with new vials of WLP001...

Was this a vial of the White Labs California ale yeast? I refused to use a starter I made from it for my last beer as it smelled like vinegar MAJORLY. I just capped my fermenter, went to the LHBS got another vial of WLP001 (California Ale yeast) and just smelling that from the vial smelled like vinegar. Again, refused to use it. I just pitched my backup of Nottingham... Maybe there is something going on with new vials of WLP001...

yes this was the white labs California Ale....I made a starter and it didn't smell that bad, but then when I pitched it, it gave off some wicked odors. I called white labs and the guy said its normal. I have been worried about this batch though for that reason.

I usually taste my hydro samples; I think most brewers do.. How does it taste?

120 is high, but is your Hydro accurate? What was the temp?

On the whole it looks ok. Odd that it would have such large bubbles at three weeks.

Back