Is my beer gone off? (Sahti)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lokis333

Reaction score
Hi all,
I brewed sahti, out of fermented it tasted amazing! (to the point of being my favourite thing!) But after bottling it with thoroughly sanitized equipment like always, and letting it to age for about a month or so, in room temperature, about 19C now it taste wine like, according to some friends bit vinegar like and very sharp! I do believe that it is gone off, though not sure reason why? Here are my thoughts.
-Fresh baker’s yeast being exposed to elements for too long?
-Bottle capper playing up?
-Sahti being funny beer style and going off quickly?
Personally I doubt that something went wrong till end of fermentation because it tasted really good. My bottle capper did not cooperate smoothly, but caps look well put on just like on other brews. Though I remember talking to this gentleman on ratebeer to trade some sahti from Finland and he said that sahti does not travel well at all, and if not kept cool it can go off within day or two.

Sorry for long post, just would be really grateful for your opinions and suggestions why it has turned out like this?
Also from initial bottling the ABV has increased from 8% to 9%.
:mug:

Five seconds of Googling "sahti" led to this rather definitive statement:
"Sahti has to be stored cold until consumption"

Probably because
" traditional sahti wort goes straight from the lauter tun to the fermenter without boiling. This gives it a relatively short shelf-life and may cause some characteristic sour flavors to develop from Lactobacillus bacteria."

Hi lokis

I just brought a bottle back from Finland to the UK on Wednesday and it sort of survives a days trip from fridge to fridge. I drank it today: malty, sweet, bakers yeast and banana type character. No sourness or acidity. There was pretty much no carbonation to it. I bet that if lacto had had a chance to act the sahti would have poured with obvious carbonation and a head. Instead it was murky and pretty flat.

Not sure if that helps, but I assume they bottle and cool it down as soon as it finishes fermenting. In Finland it is sold in fridges only and not at room temperature.

Hi lokis

I just brought a bottle back from Finland to the UK on Wednesday and it sort of survives a days trip from fridge to fridge. I drank it today: malty, sweet, bakers yeast and banana type character. No sourness or acidity. There was pretty much no carbonation to it. I bet that if lacto had had a chance to act the sahti would have poured with obvious carbonation and a head. Instead it was murky and pretty flat.

Not sure if that helps, but I assume they bottle and cool it down as soon as it finishes fermenting. In Finland it is sold in fridges only and not at room temperature.
Hi JKaranka, I spoke to some countryside farmhouse ale brewers in Lithuania (Thats where I am from) we also use fresh bakers yeast. Old brewer told me that if fermentation reaches higher temperatures beer will turn out sharp and not pleasant. Was new information for me, as my fermentation kicked up to +27C in +19C room, crazy stuff! Also might of added too much juniper.

Tried it reacently and it was less sharp, still bit tart but not as boozy, still no foam and no carbonation (as no priming suggar was added). Although as a sad atempt and moving houses it was kept in room temperature since brewing.

So now concidering the factors of too warm fermentation temperature and go more easy on Juniper + potentialy use different bakers yeast. As it was bottled and kept warm and still survived and improved from undrinkable to toleratable.

any ideas or suggestions as I dont have a large fridge to keep a batch cool nor want to keep beer outside in winter.

Latest posts

Back