Is Magnum typically slow to sprout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernutz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have 5 second year hop plantings: 3 Centennials and 2 Magnums. Two of the Centennials are growing like gangbusters for over a month and are probably both 10 to 12 feet tall already. One Centennial sprouted a few bines which died and have not yet come back though I'm holding out hope still.

Neither of the two Magnums however have yet to break ground at all. They both grew decently last year even though my yield was low. Are they likely never going to sprout or are Magnums typically slow starters?

Mine were just a little slow to start growth this spring, but not much behind the others (Chinook, Cascade, Willamette, Santiam). My son works on a farm near Santa Barbara CA and some of their hops are just barely going, yet they have ripe tomatoes now. Hops need a cold period to rest and know when to grow again and I'm sure this differs between varieties. Magnum may not have gotten sufficient cold this winter. Just a thought....

Thank you both, that makes sense. Here in Mobile we don't have much winter as it is more like fall in most parts of the country.

Back