Is Lager brewing diferent?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digunderground

Reaction score
Ok, so I am a longtime all grain ale brewer, but I have never done a Lager all grain or otherwise. I am getting ready to purchase the equipment to Lager (14 cu. ft. freezer and temp controller) so I should be set in a week or so.

I am wondering if there is anything I can do / should do different in my Mash, boil, etc. that can ensure a great first attempt?

Thanks in advance!

-DIG

Short answer... yes and no;)

It really depends on the lager style you're brewing, grain bill, etc. What's your first lager going to be?

The only thing that I have read lately that was different for my normal mash/boil process is to do a 90 minute boil to get a cleaner lager.

The biggest difference is in fermentation temps/time and ageing/lagering.

My first lager i did the usual 60 minute boil and it came out very good for my first try. The only change that I need to make to that recipe is to use less hops. The cascade flavor is a little too strong.

My second lager I did a 90 minute boil and it is ready to be transfered to secondary for ageing and lagering so it won't be ready for a while yet.

Buy this book and read it. Three or four times, until it starts making sense. (It took me four tries!) 100%, absolutely necessary to make your lager beer the best it can possibly be!

Prost,

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy this book and read it. Three or four times, until it starts making sense. (It took me four tries!) 100%, absolutely necessary to make your lager beer the best it can possibly be!

+1.... MILLION!

If you're using Pilsner malt as your base malt, a good 90 min boil is a necessity for getting rid of DMS. Do a large starter 7-10 days in advance. Remember with lagers, cleanliness is next to Godliness... and by cleanliness, I mean taste. So good temperature control throughout is key.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for all the quick replies!!

I am making an oktoberfest for my first lager, I figured it might be easier to hide any mistakes while I refine my AG setup and cold aging process. I will get the book today and get on it.

@ bwitt -I have read that the 90 minute boil helps, thanks for the confirm!

keep em coming, I need to learn fast.. lol im doing this next weekend.. so even if its bad I'll call it research. any advice is welcome!!!

-DIG

+1 on the 90 minute boil for DMS reduction, and +1 on Noonan's book.

Great advice from all! :mug:

Back