Is it worth it to bottle this 3 year old wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

istr810m

Reaction score
So, almost 3 years ago right before Thanksgiving 2017, I started a kit wine (bag o' fruit juice) cabernet (makes approximately 5 gallons). I did not use sulfites since my wife thinks the sulfites in wine give her a headache. Two weeks later, I took it from the primary fermenter and put it a glass carboy. I was wondering how I would be able to hold off another month, let alone 3 to 4 before tearing into it. Well, one month became 2 became 3 became 6 months which became a year, then 2 and now almost 3. Life happens. Well, my wife wants this off the counter top NOW.

I have done nothing to it except refill the airlock water which tends to evaporate and a few times the water has probably been drawn into the wine because of temperature/pressure changes. Whenever I have refilled the airlock, it does smell fruitty and not at all vinegary.

As you can see, it has been sitting on an impressive pile of dead yeast. I rubbed off the accumulated dust on the shoulder of the carboy to peer inside and their appears to be floating on the surface pinkish/whitish circles. Sorry if the photos do not show it well.

The wife has taken the kids to the beach for 4 days and I thought I would tackle this job this weekend.

So, considering the length of time sitting on dead yeast, the pink circles floating, and the lack of sulfites added, do you think it is worth bottling.

I can take other photos if necessary

Attachments

• 20200928_085715.jpg
    20200928_085715.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • 20200928_085524.jpg
    20200928_085524.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
  • 20200928_085246.jpg
    20200928_085246.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 20200928_085224.jpg
    20200928_085224.jpg
    1,013.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200928_085208.jpg
    20200928_085208.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
Proof of pudding in in tasting. Since your wife won’t be drinking it, you can add Camden etc and a day later take a sample drink. This way even after taking sample, no chance of spoiling anything plus it’ll kill any nasties introduced due to dry airlock. It’ll let you know whether to bottle or not.

Proof of pudding in in tasting. Since your wife won’t be drinking it, you can add Camden etc and a day later take a sample drink. This way even after taking sample, no chance of spoiling anything plus it’ll kill any nasties introduced due to dry airlock. It’ll let you know whether to bottle or not.
she would drink the wine. I have added no sulfites and did not wish to at this time.

The airlock only went dry once in 3 years and perhaps only for a day or two since I check about every two weeks since the carboy sits on my counter as a constant reminder of projects started but not finished. I was more concerned about the water being pulled into the airlock.

Little bit of airlock water should not be big deal, many brewers experience it while cold crashing . I was more concerned about oxygen exposure. even if you bottle now, you may need to think about reducing oxygen exposure.

After doing a little digging on the internet, it seems these may be "flowers of wine" (mycoderma) floating on top.

Latest posts

Back