Is it ok to open fermentor to check gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raleighwood

Reaction score
I was curious if its ok to open my fermentor to check gravity readings. Does it cause problems b/c of the oxygen intake? Any help would be nice

It's okay as long as you're sanitary about the process and don't keep it open longer than you have to. Especially during fermentation, you're aided by the co2 off-gassing which keep the pressure moving out of the fermenter. After you've reached FG is when you want to keep the open fermenter time to a minimum.

Should be OK unless you leave it open for long periods of time. I use buckets for most of my fermentation, so I just use a wine thief/turkey baster over the bung hole and sample from there. That being said, I never take a sample until at least 2 weeks have passed (usually closer to a month before I do that). Just sanitize the lid (or stopper in my case) and you should be good.

No problem. Just remember that the more you open it, the higher risk for getting an infection (although its still very unlikely). Oxidation risk is very low as the CO2 produced by fermentation really protects the beer.

Remember to sanitize anything going into your wort for gravity samples: ie. hydrometer or thief

A better solution is to use a wine thief and take the wort from the airlock hole. I use a racking cane I have and just stick it in the airlock (after sanitizing, of course) put my finger over the hole and take out some wort. The same theory as playing with straws and dropping pop.

Yes, but try and do it as little as possible. When you are first starting out brewing it is hard to resist the urge but doing so can introduce a possible infection. I would say leave it alone for a minimum of 2 weeks before taking as reading. I wait 4 weeks just so the yeast has all the time possible to finish and clean up after themselves and minimizes risk. And always sanitize your equipment that will be going in the grab the sample.

As far as oxidation, as long as you are careful and don't move the beer around all that much (splashing) the CO2 layer should protect that from happening.

Cheers!

Yeah, I usually don't even snap on the bucket lid anymore; it just rests on top. I'm a top-cropping addict, so I'm always checking the krausen. Waiting for the perfect time to skim.

Probably not the best practice, but haven't noticed any ill effects yet.

I have recently added spigots to all my buckets, makes taking samples and transferring a snap. Only downside is cleaning is a must, I take them apart evey other brew and soak in rubbing alcohol. Makes opening the lid obsolete.

Thanks that clears the air. And I make sure to properly sanitize EVERYTHING that comes in contact with the wort.

Unless you use the racking cane through the airlock hole method, which I would think would be a PITA if getting enough to float a hydrometer, you will need to take the lid off. Be careful of sanitation and do it as infrequently as possible. Wait long enough to be fairly certain that fermentation is done before taking your first reading.

You do not really risk oxidation unless you have a fan blowing into the bucket. The co2 layer on top will not go away unless you blow it out of the bucket. It is heavier than air and cannot get out of the top of the bucket by itself.

Ha, All good advice as I am doing my first stout kit in a open bucket , my first open fermentation. Been pulling my lid open on one side every day to check the progress and also take readings.
Everything looks ok and smells ok.
6 days in and planning on keg and prime on day 7 then rest for 14.
Probably sample in the making..
Can't help myself as im new to all this and just fascinated with the fact ive created something and watching it progress through the stages...

Back