Is it done yet??? Pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

destreza

Reaction score
I threw the ingredients together just last Thursday. Does it look done to you? Am I able to drink it tonight? I think that's about 5, almost 6 days of fermenting.

30t48k3.jpg

Well I don't mean done per say, more like is it simi ready to drink to get drunk.

No way in hell I'd drink it, but it contains alcohol now. Soooo yeah, you can get drunk if there's enough there. Nice passport

Generally, folks wait somewhere between one and two (usually closer to two) weeks before they consider their initial fermentation complete. You'll find that even after two weeks, sometimes fermentation is still not complete and in those cases the use of a hydrometer would be the way to go to really know when fermentation has finished.

The reason why no one would drink that in its current state is because, although there is alcohol in it, it is absolutely flat. And flat beer isn't quite what you're going for. You'll want to google carbonating beer, or possibly priming beer to get some tips on what your next steps are. Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I think it's wine.

OP, if the end game is to get trashed then go for it. What was the OG and FG?
You could just buy a bottle of wine and let the wine finish. That's what I would do, why not do that?

Thanks for the info. I don't care for the taste I just want the alcohol and it was fun with all the science and ****. I drank some of it (already tipsy) after I racked it once in an empty milk jug. Does not taste bad at all, smells strong. I don't know if actually is but I think it is.

Compared to the average red wine, I think it's a little less as powerful but really close.

I think it's wine.

OP, if the end game is to get trashed then go for it. What was the OG and FG?
You could just buy a bottle of wine and let the wine finish. That's what I would do, why not do that?

I don't have any fancy equipment it's my first time making anything, like I said not soon after you posted. I did it for "fun".

I used 7g normal bakers yeast 1 cup sugar and grape juice 1.89 L, pouring out a little over a cup.

WOAH got the double vision. I am sooo surprised. I love science. I am really drunk. Wow.

Dear Lord, I did not know it is even possible for someone to ferment 2 liters of grape juice (I guess bought at supermarket) just to drink it after 5 days to get hammered, be all "wow" about the "double vision" and call it science.

Dude seriously, how old are you? 14? :D

For authenticities sake, you should have made this in a toilet bowl.

All you have to do then is dip a Dixie cup in and go!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't care for the taste I just want the alcohol and it was fun with all the science and ****.

First: If you don't care about the taste and just want the alcohol, go buy some cheap vodka. Unless you are underage, in which case you should just go do some homework or read a book or something.
Second: What about this has been in the name of science? You tossed some yeast and sugar into a bottle of juice. Did you hypothesize something other than CO2 and ethanol production would happen?

Something else to consider, if you are interested in making wine, is to make something fast like Ed Wort's Apfelwein then make some good wine following recipes like ones posted by Yooper and really fine tune your winemaking. Building up your pipeline helps a lot with patience.

The only issue is that I have a sneaking suspicion that you're not quite 21 yet. If that is the case then you can't really be making any of this.

The only issue is that I have a sneaking suspicion that you're not quite 21 yet. If that is the case then you can't really be making any of this.

I've often wondered about that - what law covers this?

I mean, I know it's illegal for stores to sell to minors, and of course there are the usual laws covering public intoxication, drunk driving, etc., but what law specifically says that you have to be 21 to consume alcohol? I know the law says you have to be 21 to BUY it, but is it worded such that it's illegal for minors to even POSSESS it and/or CONSUME it (let alone produce it)?

I mean, I know it's illegal for stores to sell to minors, and of course there are the usual laws covering public intoxication, drunk driving, etc., but what law specifically says that you have to be 21 to consume alcohol? I know the law says you have to be 21 to BUY it, but is it worded such that it's illegal for minors to even POSSESS it and/or CONSUME it (let alone produce it)?

I got a ticket when I was 19 for "possession of alcohol by a minor." But not sure how it varies from state to state.

Each state handles it differently: http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=002591

Well the cops ticketed me twice for underage drinking, so it definitely is a law...

Expensive as he'll too!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm glad that you asked. Perhaps it is possible that there is no law in every state that covers this but I will take my best shot to help you.

§56.61 Consumption of Alcohol by Minor Prohibited in Public Place, Place Open to Public, or Place Not Open to Public

Now, that is citing San Diego Municipal Code. I had dealings with this in SD, therefore, that is why I picked SD first.

Texas states:
Source: http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/laws/underage_drinking_laws.asp
Minors who purchase, attempt to purchase, possess, or consume alcoholic beverages, as well as minors who are intoxicated in public or misrepresent their age to obtain alcoholic beverages, face the following consequences:

Class C misdemeanor, punishable by a fine up to $500
Alcohol awareness class
8 to 40 hours community service
30 to 180 days loss or denial of driver's license

Now, a minor in my eyes is under 18; however, it is unclear if the TABC is referring to a minor who is not yet 21. I don't live in Texas and therefore, have no reason to question it. I am also well over 21. :)

Getting to a state I do care about, North Carolina…
Source: http://alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/APIS_State_Profile.html?state=NC

You can visit this site at your leisure to review all statutes and/or laws regarding consumption.

For NC: Consumption is prohibited with NO EXCEPTIONS.
This policy topic covers laws that prohibit underage alcohol possession, consumption, or internal possession (see Definitions), together with various statutory exceptions to these laws.

All States prohibit possession of alcoholic beverages (with certain exceptions) by those under age 21. In addition, most but not all States have statutes that specifically prohibit consumption of alcoholic beverages by those under the age of 21. Many States that prohibit possession and/or consumption apply various statutory exceptions to these provisions (see below).

States that prohibit underage consumption may allow different exceptions for consumption than those that apply to underage possession.

In recent years, a number of States have passed laws prohibiting the "internal possession" of alcohol by persons under 21 years of age. These provisions typically require evidence of alcohol in the minor's body, but do not require any specific evidence of possession or consumption. Internal possession laws are especially useful to law enforcement in making arrests or issuing citations when breaking up underage drinking parties. Internal possession laws allow officers to bring charges against underage persons who are neither holding nor drinking alcoholic beverages in the presence of law enforcement officers. As with laws prohibiting underage possession and consumption, States that prohibit internal possession may apply various statutory exceptions to these provisions (see below).

APIS codes a State as having an internal possession law if its statutes or regulations prohibit a person under the age of 21 from having alcohol in her or his system as determined by a blood, breath or urine test. Laws that punish persons under the age of 21 for displaying "indicators of consumption," or for "exhibiting the effects" of having consumed alcohol, are not considered to be internal possession laws for the purpose of APIS coding.

Although all States prohibit possession of alcohol by minors, some States do not specifically prohibit underage alcohol consumption. In addition, States that prohibit underage possession and/or consumption may or may not address the issue of internal possession.

Further, to clarify statute vs law:
Law vs Statute

“Law” and “statute” both refer to certain laws that have been made and implemented in a society for some kind of discipline, rules, and regulations to be followed by a community or society or nation as a whole. “Law” and “statute” are different from each other as a law refers to some common rules made and followed by the society for a long time which are still being followed. These are not necessarily written whereas a statute refers to laws which have been passed as bills by the legislature of a country or have been written down and are consulted for use.

As a result of the above, in my state consumption is illegal. Since you are not from here, I recommend looking up information in your city. As you can see from the links provided above, right to consume varies from state to state and can even vary from county to county, I suppose. It is not a black and white situation.

What the APIS site doesn't seem to touch on is the creation of alcohol. However, I would argue that this could fall under possession, easily.

Does that help?

Latest posts

Back