Is Fermentation complete?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henrybeggs

Reaction score
My Northern Brewer kit has been fermenting for two weeks now and I'm not sure if fermentation is complete yet. I modified the recipe by adding blood orange fruit and zest which I'm sure lengthened the fermentation process, but how can I tell when it is finished? In the past what I have done is just sanitize my hands and hydrometer and just drop it right into the bucket. The problem is that I do not want to get air into my brew, what should I do? Also I do not have a thief...
Thanks.

If you had a vigorous fermentation, it is probably done (ale yeast?). Unless you start sloshing it around the minimal amount of air in contact with your brew while you get a hydro sample isn't going to hurt it. If you have the means you could always go to secondary with it and let it sit a couple more weeks or better yet leave it in primary for another week, won't hurt anything.

Back