is chill haze not stopped if i dilute my wort with COLD water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrawbag

Reaction score
im brewing extract (coopers wheat) and i understand proteins=chill haze. cooling of wort=broken proteins.
why when i dilute the wort to 23l /6us gal with cold water does that not break the proteins?
does this process have to happen to undiluted wort? why?
one of the pro's might have a good link for this on file.

I'm not a pro so it's possible I misunderstand the concept of "protein break," but I'm thinking it's more relevant when you're actually doing a mash (partial- or all-grain) than with extract. Is this an all-extract recipe or are there some grains? If I'm wrong (very possible) I'm sure someone will jump in here to correct me.

It is not broken in the sense of creating smaller pieces of protein - that occurs during the malting, and mashing steps. If you are using extracts, then you have no control over this step.

I suspect it is called break after the way a cream sauce will "break" into an oil phase and a water phase as it sits in the leftover container in your fridge. The "clear" wort becomes chunky, or broken, as the proteins coagulate.

What everyone has control over is the precipitation of protein during the boiling phase (hot break) and the cooling phase (cold break). The precipitation reaction is the same that occurs when an egg is cooked. The liquid proteins lose their normal shaped and then clump together to form a delicious food item. The same thing happens in a boiling wort. Some of the proteins unravel (denature) and then they clump together into hot break. Still others will remain dissolved even at boiling temperatures. These proteins however when subject to a rapid temperature change will now form clumps. If the wort is cooled slow enough, some of these will slowly re-fold into their normal shape and remain dissolved (and will contribute to haze). In general, the better both the hot and cold break, the less chance you have of getting haze

Chill haze... to get rid of it, simply let your beer sit longer in the cold. An extra week or two does wonders - that crap just falls right out!

so it is possible to reduce chill haze when brewing full extract by cooling the undiluted wort quickly. i was thinking of irish moss but as usual just have patience is the key

Cooling your wort quickly helps with clarity in general, but will not eliminate chill haze. Don't stop chilling when you get to 70F, or whatever temperature you were going to pitch at. Keep going, and try to get down to the mid 50Fs if you can - and the faster you can do this, the better. You can pitch your yeast there (it won't hurt the yeast) and let your beer warm up to fermentation temperature naturally over the next day or so. If you don't have a wort chiller, you can use an ice bath. I get 3 gallon all-grain batches down to 55F in <20 minutes with an ice bath. It takes a lot of ice and some elbow grease to keep the kettle agitated, but it works.

As far as the chill haze goes, the only real fix other than sub-micron filtration is to leave it in the fridge for a week or two.

Back