Is Barracuda Edible? Does it pair better with red or white?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is edible. However they become toxic as they grow in size due to the food they eat. If you're going to eat one make sure it's a smaller one. I would say the wine choice depends more on the preparation.

Species that live in colder water are never toxic, since they don't eat any prey fish that contain ciguatera. I couldn't get my video to embed, but I give a critique of pairing Santo Tomas Cabernet Sauvignon with smoked Cuda.

[ame]http://youtu.be/DMidmZRptbY[/ame]

Dont eat barracuda, I live on an island and my godfather, brother, best friend, and brother in law are all charter fisherman I know my stuff. They eat fish that many of the time have Ciguatera poisoning making them, in turn, poisonous to eat. I have heard stories, granted this is not real good evidence, that some of the older hispanic fisherman will get a slice of the filet and feed it to an ant pile. If the ants die, then its no good to eat. If they dont then its "supposed to be" ok.

Now personally.... I think barracuda would be oily like mackerel and wouldnt taste very good anyways. Go with a nice cobia, snapper, grouper, or even fresh mahi dolphin filet with a white wine. Seared ahi tuna or tuna sushimi would go better with red.

Dont eat barracuda, I live on an island and my godfather, brother, best friend, and brother in law are all charter fisherman I know my stuff. They eat fish that many of the time have Ciguatera poisoning making them, in turn, poisonous to eat. I have heard stories, granted this is not real good evidence, that some of the older hispanic fisherman will get a slice of the filet and feed it to an ant pile. If the ants die, then its no good to eat. If they dont then its "supposed to be" ok.

Now personally.... I think barracuda would be oily like mackerel and wouldnt taste very good anyways. Go with a nice cobia, snapper, grouper, or even fresh mahi dolphin filet with a white wine. Seared ahi tuna or tuna sushimi would go better with red.

Caribbean barracuda can give ciguatera poisoning. The OP linked to a Pacific ocean species of barracuda. Without the presence of coral reefs the barracuda should be safe to eat. When in the Bahamas many years ago the locals would eat the smaller barracuda. I didn't take the chance.

Back