Celis White Better Than Hoegaarden?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Back when I was a lowly teaching assistant at UT Austin, I came across Celis White in HEB, and I thought it was great. I bought it regularly.

I had to move to Miami, and there was no Celis White there. I found Hoegaarden, and it seemed pretty close.

Years later, I learned that Pierre Celis created both beers but sold Hoegaarden's brand to Interbrew.

My question: is Celis White better than Hoegaarden? I have left bottles of Hoegaarden sitting unopened for long stretches, but I don't recall letting Celis White go to waste. I always assumed they were the same, but maybe that isn't so. Hoegaarden seems too dry and flavorless, if I recall correctly, which maybe I don't.

I can't really think of a factory beer of that type that I like much. I can't get Celis White. I have tried Blue Moon. Let's just say I was not mesmerized.

They are not the same beer. Which is better is a matter of personal taste, but more people seem to prefer Celis White.

Back when I was a lowly teaching assistant at UT Austin, I came across Celis White in HEB, and I thought it was great. I bought it regularly.

I had to move to Miami, and there was no Celis White there. I found Hoegaarden, and it seemed pretty close.

Years later, I learned that Pierre Celis created both beers but sold Hoegaarden's brand to Interbrew.

My question: is Celis White better than Hoegaarden? I have left bottles of Hoegaarden sitting unopened for long stretches, but I don't recall letting Celis White go to waste. I always assumed they were the same, but maybe that isn't so. Hoegaarden seems too dry and flavorless, if I recall correctly, which maybe I don't.

I can't really think of a factory beer of that type that I like much. I can't get Celis White. I have tried Blue Moon. Let's just say I was not mesmerized.
I have tried Hoegaarden and have tried Blue Moon. The important question is Which one do you like, not which one I like.

Latest posts

Back