Is all of this material yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdubya200

Reaction score
Good morning.

New to yeast rinsing, and last night rinsed the yeast and trub from a 10 gallon batch of IPA fermented with WLP001. After swirling in the fermenter ( Spiedel) i let it sit for abut half an hour and then used the spigot to draw off roughly 3/4 of a gallon of the rinsed slurry. I sat the gallon sized jub aside to let it separate, but ended up forgetting and going to bed. 12+ hours later, it looks like this...

http://imgur.com/z37GjnX

Theres a solid 4+ inches of what appears to be yeast, not trub/sediment. I realize that will compact over time, especially once in the fridge...but that just seems like a boatload of yeast, so my question is...is it in fact yeast? This is my third time rinsing yeast and Ive never gotten remotely close to that amount, but admittedly my first time rinsing Cali Ale yeast ( figured why not...I use it all the time...save some $$$).

As an aside, i pitched a healthy. well cared for yeast starter with approximately 400 billion cells into a well oxygenated 1.065 wort and kept a tight control on fermentation temps @ 68 the entire time. Hospitable environment, but could it lead to THAT amount of propagation? I know Barry White and fancy dinners leads to sex, but if 68 degrees, oxygen, and unfermented wort set the mood this well...I've been doing it all wrong.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
I just washed my first batch of yeast last week (Cali Ale) and it looked very similar to that. I combined several smaller amounts from three different mason jars into one big one. I kept pouring off the liquid every day until i brewed on Sunday. Some users have said you can leave the liquid and dump it when you're ready to pitch.

Pitched on Sunday afternoon and the airlock was bubbling over within a few hours. Very happy with the result.

There is good info on collecting yeast in the sticky. Most people have moved from rinsing to just collecting the trub/yeast mix.

Latest posts

Back