Is a welded keg a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guindilla

Reaction score
Cheers,

I recently bought a few pin-lock corni kegs to a fellow homebrewer. Unfortunately, while cleaning them I saw some of them were welded (beginner mistake, I should have checked that). All cornis had been used with syrop apparently without problems (they were still sticky).

I would like to know if those welding would be a problem with wort (for secondary in the keg) and fermented beer. Any comment and experience welcome.

Sorry for the links, inserting them as "image" with URL does not seem to work with dropbox.

Here are some weldings that were subsequently sanded (top of the keg):
sanded%202_zpsy7lsevoj.jpg

sanded1_zpst838b1go.jpg

And here some that were not (bottom of the keg):
not%20sanded%201_zpscpzsjia8.png

not%20sanded%202_zps06ogep10.png

They might look uglier than they really are :) We are talking about weldings of 1cm or so of welding (sanding covers more obviously).

Thanks a lot for your help.

Come on, I can not believe that no one on this great forum can at least give me some idea of what problems I might have :mug:

Thanks!

What are we looking at? Is this the inside of the keg?
I would passivate them and use them. I've never noticed anything like that inside my kegs.

Hi there,

I've moved the images to another server, and now hopefully they can be seen. Sorry for the hassle, I've been struggling a bit to share them.

The weldings are on the inside, the welding length is around 1cm.

Now that the images can be seen, do you still believe that even the non-sanded welds could be used? My hope is that with fermented beer (and thus alcohol) the liquid will be less prone to contaminations.

Thanks for the answers and sorry for the hassle of non-appearing images.

I could see the photos on dropbox, I'm still thinking you should passivate.

I bought a 3 gal pin lock from AIH, and after having used it for a while, read the branding on the keg. It said 5 gallons and then upon closer inspection, realized that it was originally a 5 gal that was cut down and welded.

I think the insides weren't even welded if I remember right, just the outsides. I haven't had any issues with it yet. Mine didn't have anything like that, though. I'll have to go back and look, but it's about half full at the moment, so it could be a while before I get the chance.

I would hit the discolored ones with some Barkeepers Friend and scrub them as best you can and go from there.

Thanks for your answers, message received loud and clear!

For us non-Yanks, "Bar Keepers Friend" is a powdered cleaning product that uses oxalic acid as its primary active ingredient. For those looking for a sustitutive cleaner in Europe, it is generally used for stainless steel cleansers and polishers.

Cheers!

Thanks for your answers, message received loud and clear!

For us non-Yanks, "Bar Keepers Friend" is a powdered cleaning product that uses oxalic acid as its primary active ingredient. For those looking for a sustitutive cleaner in Europe, it is generally used for stainless steel cleansers and polishers.

Cheers!

Cool, Brother!
Can you find this product in Spain?

Salud!

I don't think we have the "Bar Keepers Friend" brand, but we have enough bars and bar tenders to be able to find something similar based on oxalic acid. I just have to pay a bit more attention next time I go to do some shopping :mug:

I'll try to post back what I've used for others to get inspired.

Thanks!

I bought a 3 gal pin lock from AIH, and after having used it for a while, read the branding on the keg. It said 5 gallons and then upon closer inspection, realized that it was originally a 5 gal that was cut down and welded.

I think the insides weren't even welded if I remember right, just the outsides. I haven't had any issues with it yet. Mine didn't have anything like that, though. I'll have to go back and look, but it's about half full at the moment, so it could be a while before I get the chance.

I would hit the discolored ones with some Barkeepers Friend and scrub them as best you can and go from there.

Following up on this, I opened up my keg and found I was mistaken. The insides were welded pretty well.

Any updates on yours?

I managed to change most of the cornis but one, so I'm still looking for the European equivalent of the Bar Keepers Friend unfortunately.

Back