Is a step mash a requirement for my Witbier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallagherman

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing Jamil's Witbier on Sunday, which is about 50% flaked wheat. He recommends a step mash (122-154˚F). Is this for increased enzymatic activation, because the flaked wheat is unmalted? Does the pils malt, which is also about 50% of the bill, have enough diastatic power to convert the starch from the wheat? If this is NOT why he recommends a 2-step mash, then why? Can I just do a single infusion at 154?

I'm going to be brewing Jamil's Witbier on Sunday, which is about 50% flaked wheat. He recommends a step mash (122-154˚F). Is this for increased enzymatic activation, because the flaked wheat is unmalted? Does the pils malt, which is also about 50% of the bill, have enough diastatic power to convert the starch from the wheat? If this is NOT why he recommends a 2-step mash, then why? Can I just do a single infusion at 154?

Pils will have enough DP to convert the wheat.

you would benefit from doing a 2 step mash as he has suggested!

If you really have no other choice you could get away with a single infusion but it wont be the same

Latest posts

Back