Is a cereal mash necessary for flaked grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5B-brewing

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Wit this last weekend using 44% Pilsner, 40% flaked wheat, ~5% flaked oats, ~3% Munich, and the rest in rice hulls. (BeerSmith included these as part of the grain bill.) Mashed at 150*. my system isn't able to do step mashes yet. I added 2.0oz fresh orange zest, 0.4oz crushed coriander, and 0.1oz German chamomile at 5min. left in the boil. Hit all my gravity and volume numbers pretty darn close. Pitched WLP400 when the wort was cooled to 68*.

My questions are: I've read in the past that flaked grains are pre-gelatinized when they go through the rolling process so I didn't bother doing a protein or beta-glucan rest. (Which I can't do with my equipment anyways.) With that amount of unmalted grains in the grain bill are there enough enzymes in the Pilsner to convert the starches? I hit my gravity numbers, but are those points all going to be un-fermentable dextrins? Is my wit going to dry out enough?

Depends on the Pilsner. Belgian and German both have diastatic power of over 100, but UK can be down around 60 which would leave your average in th 30 area. I'd look for an average of 40 or higher for good conversion.

It was a Belgian Pilsner, so hopefully I'm good. Where do I find data on diastatic power of specific malts?

You use flaked and torrified grains so you don't have to cereal mash. Flaked and torrified grains are pre-gelatinized so you can get the sugar easy.

A cereal mash is for grain that isn't malted or gelatinized.

But what you are asking is diastic power. Here's how you can do a calculation.

That's what I thought, that they were pre-gelatinized, but I was reading Palmer's How to Brew and it was talking about a cereal mash for even flaked grains, so I was second-guessing myself. I did hit all my numbers, though, and it is bubbling away happily.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back