Is a 30g cooler mash tun overkill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwin

Reaction score
So I recently upgraded to the 60l spiedel fermenter in hopes to do fewer/more productive brew days. Have a 15g boil kettle. Tried my first 10-11g batch in my current 12g mash tun, and it didn't work out. Couldn't hold it. Would have had to double batch sparge but I am currently employing a two vessel system that also includes a bucket to hold first runnings while I transfer sparge water from bk. Don't worry, 3 tier plans on the horizon. Any way, I perhaps over reacted and grabbed a 30g coleman extreme on Craigslist for $25. NEVER AGAIN! I told myself confidently at the time and tossed the big ass cooler in the back of my truck, smiling and still wincing from the pain in my back from the last brew day.
Anyhow, I only brew bigger beers. I'm talking 7% only if I miss my efficiency. Frequently I'm over 10%.
I've seen bobbym's formulation for cooler size needed, and I know it's big enough. I just want to make sure it's not gonna be too big and have temperature issues. I do preheat the tun as standard practice.

Or Rdwhahb and brew on?

I recently moved up from a 10 gal cooler to a 15+ and I have noticed my lower OG 5 gallon brews mash way cooler than expected due to temp loss. Thus I have to adjust. I'm not saying it's a deal breaker, just something to keep in mind.

Back