Is 80Qt. too big for a brew kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanmac00

Reaction score
Is it possible that an 80qt. kettle is too much for doing mostly 5 gallon batches? I know it sounds crazy, but I’m worried about things like, will a 5 gallon batch even cover the entire wort chiller in an 80qt. kettle? I’m looking at 80qt. in the even that I ever want to jump into 10 gallon batches. Any other concerns with this size pot?

Also do I need a lid?

It's slight overkill but so what? I think 60qt is more ideal for 5 and 10 gallon batches if you have that option. That's what I use and start with 13+ gallons in my kettle.

covering the chiller with 5G could definitely be an issue. What are the inside dimensions of the pot? And how wide and tall is your chiller?

I've been debating this same question for quite a while now, my main concern being whether or not 10 gallon BIAB batches will work in a 60qt pot. I think it'd be close, or over on some recipes, but those larger grain bill recipes I'd probably only be brewing 5 gallons of anyway.

I can tell you though that when I moved from the turkey fryer (tall 7.5 gal) to the pot I have now (estimated around 12 gallons) the wort chiller does not have nearly the same contact area with the wort. I haven't actually used the chiller since it's been in the low double digits and my hoses freeze up leading to the chiller, but I can tell you that it wouldn't be as effective. If I had known this before I made the chiller, I could have designed it to be shorter and wider to alleviate that problem.

its way too big for just 5 gal batches, but it will work if you plan to do 10 gal in future

I think it depends on the diameter. It could work. My 60 qt. is exactly 16" across and the 5 gal. mark is a little over 6" from the bottom. So maybe an 80 qt. is just taller? It depends on the dimensions but it could work.

i have a 12 gallon pot now and my chiller I designed for my 4 gal pot (50' of 3/8" copper) sits about an inch above the wort when I do a six gallon batch, is it a pita to uncoil and recoil your wort chiler to make it more fine tuned when you change your brewpot?

If you ever plan to do 10 gallon batches then go with the 80. I wish I had bought the 80 over the 60 now... So what's the down side if your chiller has a few coils above the wort? A little less efficient maybe. I wouldn't worry about it unless it was half way exposed... Probably the biggest thing you'll see is more evaporation if the pot is of a greater diameter. (More surface = more evaporation concept). Cheers!!!

Probably the biggest thing you'll see is more evaporation if the pot is of a greater diameter. (More surface = more evaporation concept). Cheers!!!

Makes sense. That won't be a problem though since there is plenty of space for more water to account for the boil off.

Go for it.:rockin: I use a 75qt for 5g mostly but wanted the option to do 10g+ batches too.

I use a plate chiller so depth isn't an issue for me though. Not sure if you can just re-roll your IC with a wider diameter.

I don't see where anyone addressed your lid question. Yes, get a lid. I use mine quite often. During the boil to reduce the evaporation (no it's not on tight), before chilling, after chilling, etc... Cheers!!!

I have a 100qt and find I have to do 6 gallon batches to get 5 in the end. The wort chiller will work, just give it time. Sometimes I wish I had the 80qt just because the 100 is another 4 inches deeper. I initially got the pot thinking I could do 10 gallon batches and never worry about boil overs. Next thing I know I'm scaling favorite recipies to 15 gallon batches and buying an extra ale pail. Cant win, now I still watch for boil overs.

My pot is 21+ gallons. I do mostly 5 gallon batches with no issues. My 50' immersion chiller sticks out about a 1/2". Big deal. Pot was custom made by a friend and it is one of my most prized brewing possessions. Boil over? What's that? :ban:

new set up.jpg

No reason you cannot transfer the wort to a smaller vessel to cool. It will be at boiling temp at that time. Like the pot that comes with the turkey fryer. I think everyone has one of those in the garage...

Back