Ironblood Mead (first experiment)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machalel

Reaction score
Here's my sweet mead experiement. I was a little excited, so this was kinda done "spur of the moment", with little planning. I figured that if nothing else, I can leave it in the cupboard for a year or two while I brew more "normal" stuff :cross:

Ha! who am I kidding, no normal stuff from me... :p

It was a very vigorous ferment (spilled over everywhere), and has dropped down from 1.138 to 1.030 so far (14.6%). I've just racked it for the first time after 3 weeks, as there was a lot of dead yeast (about 1cm) and all the "pulp" from the fruit had dropped about a week ago. Here is the recipe:

Recipe: Ironblood Mead
Style: Sweet Mead

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 l
OG: 1.138 SG

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
1.50 l Canberra (Tuggeranong)
1.00 kg Natural Iron Bark Honey
0.50 kg Natural Yellow Box Honey
0.50 kg Dark Dry Malt Extract
0.20 kg Fruit - Orange
0.45 kg Fruit - Blood Plum
0.25 kg Fruit - Prune
0.20 kg Fruit - Raisins
1.00 Cup Early Grey Tea
3.00 Items Cloves
2.00 g Cinnamon Powder
1.00 g Cardomom Powder
0.50 g Fennel
1.00 Items Vanilla Bean (dried & sliced)
1.0 pkg Sweet Mead/Wine (WYeast #2046)
5.00 g Yeast Nutrient

Start of ferment - it was bubbling out the airlock in under 48 hours!

lscUc.jpg

This thing is really dark... I tried shining one of those super-powerful-spotlight-style torches through and I couldnt see anything at all.

txxaa.jpg

I had a bit of a sample as well, and there is a definite alcoholic aroma, but it's actually not as "hot" tasting as I was expecting... There are a wide range of very distinct flavours in this one, and they havent melded / mellowed together yet (as expected) but it's not as bad as I was worrying it would be.

It starts off sweet, smooth, and syrupy, then transitions through orange / dates / fig, then gets a bit peppery / hot / acidic, before going dry(?) and a tiny bit astringent aftertaste.

Quick update:

Racked again due to massive build up of lees and sediment.

Still really dark!

IxTei.jpg

Well done on getting it this far. Especially as I'm thinking that the yeast is the one that can be a temperament PITA.

You got something right, because the yeast has a published tolerance of 11%. Whether its just the DME that's made it that dark, or whether its some of the other ingredients as well, I don't know, but if it tastes like its gonna be good, then who gives a toss, eh!

Tastes pretty good at the moment, but will need a bit of aging I think.

I realise I forgot to say; not sure if it helped with the yeast health, but as it was an experimental batch I used a drop of olive oil (which I understand is a bit of a controversial "not sure if it actually works" procedure).

Back