Irish Stout - Higher FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkh389

Reaction score
Hello,

I brewed an Irish stout from Midwest that I let ferment in primary for about four weeks before bottling. When I went to bottle, the FG was 1.014 when it should be about 1.010-1.012. My question is, will this be a problem?

I went ahead and tasted my brew and it's kind of bland as in it doesn't hit you in the face with much. Just kind of boring.

If it used dark extract, be happy with 1.014. According to the recipe posted on MW it was. It also listed 4 oz Chocolate and 4 oz Roasted. Those are rather low quantities for an Irish stout. But don't take it as a bad thing. Keep a copy of the recipe with a couple notes. That'll give you something to use as a reference next time you brew a stout.

Do you think Guiness is a pretty weak stout then?

You'll have to be more specific. An Irish stout is generally the lightest of the stouts. It's kind of like asking if I think an English mild is weak.

Some carbonation will improve your stout.

Yes Guinness seems a little bland. It gets better as it warms up. Check out the recipe here for Deception Cream Stout, it's very flavorful.

Back