Irish Red from Brewing Classic Styles that didnt turn red...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taypo

Reaction score
Two weeks after brewing, we're looking at a brown beer. Not a deep brown, but definitely not red. Its still very green (yes, I drink hydrometer samples :)) so I'm wondering if thats the cause, or if anyone else has had the same experience with that recipe. I'd rather not post the exact recipe from the book, but we followed the directions to a T.

It's hard to judge the color of a beer while the yeast is still suspended as you're getting the reflected rather than refracted light. Wait until it's clear and I'll bet it looks more red.

This from the book Brewing Classic Styles? I don't have mine handy in front of me but if I remember, it's estimated SRM color is over 13. From what've researched 13 SRM is the level you want to aim for when a true red color is desired.

Unless you want fire engine red and if that's the case you mix beet syrup in your wort.

This from the book Brewing Classic Styles? I don't have mine handy in front of me but if I remember, it's estimated SRM color is over 13. From what've researched 13 SRM is the level you want to aim for when a true red color is desired.

Unless you want fire engine red and if that's the case you mix beet syrup in your wort.

Yup, thats the one. We were looking for a red, not necessarily fire engine red, but not the light brown thats in the primary now. I'm not terribly worried about it, theres a good taste there but wasnt sure where we may have dropped the ball.

This went into secondary yesterday after about a 3 week primary (Yeast rafts made us move it) and its leaning more to brown than red. However, we cracked a couple of Magic Hat's seasonal Irish Reds and the colors and tastes are very similar, even uncarbed and warm - so another case of RDWHAHB!

This went into secondary yesterday after about a 3 week primary (Yeast rafts made us move it) and its leaning more to brown than red. However, we cracked a couple of Magic Hat's seasonal Irish Reds and the colors and tastes are very similar, even uncarbed and warm - so another case of RDWHAHB!

Why the secondary? 3 weeks in the primary should have been long enough...bottle that sucker.

Why the secondary? 3 weeks in the primary should have been long enough...bottle that sucker.

We've done every other batch in a long primary only, but this one was rocking quite a few yeast rafts and we were a little concerned with the color so figured an extra week off the cake wouldnt do any harm. Had an open carboy, so no harm done. Its going into bottles this weekend.

As a point of education: does anybody know which ingredients provide the "expected" red color? If anybody says "the malt" I'm gonna sigh.

Back