Irish Red Ale Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danthebugman

Reaction score
I've been going back and forth on what I want my next brew to be and I've finally decided to go with an Irish Red, but I don't want to do just a normal Irish Red. It seems I've been digging a lot of stuff with Rye in it lately so I figured I'd try an Irish Red Rye. This is my initial recipe...

OG: 1.053 FG: 1.013 IBU: 36 SRM: 17

7.00 lbs 2 Row
1.25 lbs Rye Malt
1.00 lbs Munich
1.00 lbs Victory
7 oz Crystal 120
4 oz Roasted Barley

0.75 oz Columbus @ 60 min
1.00 oz EK Goldings @ 30 min

1 pkg US-04

The recipe is based off what I found on Bacchus Brewing's website for their Irish Red Rye (http://www.bacchusbrewing.com/brews/irish-red-eye-ale). I'm not trying to clone that beer, just using it as some inspiration/direction. I'm thinking of upping the Rye to 2 lbs and dropping some of the 2 Row. Or maybe instead of cutting the 2 Row dropping the Victory...seems a little much going on and simplification might yield a better beer.

I've got a five day weekend this next weekend and I'd like to brew sometime then, but I'm needing a little help finalizing things so I can get ingredients purchased in time.

Thoughts, suggestions, critiques? Go...

Up the rye to two lbs and drop some munich. This will give it a bit more of the rye character

Back