Irish Red Ale priming sugar amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sks8686

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am bottling a Irish Red Ale today. When I transfered to the secondary I ended up with about 4-4.5 gals. I have been trying to do the math to figure out my sugar ratio, but need a little help. I dont have a scale to weigh the sugar out so how many tablespoons to water should I use. Thanks for the help Guys.

Here is a pic of my carboy, it is a 5 gal. Mabey help judge the volume of beer I am working with.

20140724_121500.jpg

You can pick up a small scale (600g/24oz) off eBay for less than $10 w/shipping. Helps a lot with priming sugar, hops, etc.

You can pick up a small scale (600g/24oz) off eBay for less than $10 w/shipping. Helps a lot with priming sugar, hops, etc.

I agree, get a scale and weigh your ingredients. Weighing is a lot more accurate than volume.

In addition. Mark your carboy. Get a large measuring vessel and make marks at each gallon and possibly the half gallons. I use Better Bottles and marked the gallons on the side with a Sharpie.

Back