Irish Red Ale is far from Red?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selfsufficient

Reaction score
Just curious about BB Irish Red Ale kit beer. I finally tasted it after 1 week in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary and a couple days in the keg force carbonated. I only took a couple sips. Its not carbonated enough only because I have read enough to play on the safe side, however, the color is far from red but the taste is better than the first brew that I made. My real question is, the color of it is closer to chocolate milk? Cloudy even after 2 weeks in the secondary? Really, it tastes good so I don't care, however, I would love to see a red brew. Without the food coloring!!!! ha ha ha :confused:

CHOCOLATE MILK?!?!?!?! Sounds like a guinness before it settles.

Remember, time heals all wounds and sometimes it can take significantly longer than 2 weeks to clarify. My guess is that when it does clear up it will be closer to a stout than a red in color.

If it is an extract brew, plan on the color being darker than expected. Do a search on late extract addition to help with getting the color right with your next brews.

Back