Irish Red Ale additions for beginner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acyr90

Reaction score
I'm brewing the Midwest Irish Red Ale kit and want to experiment with 2 gallons of it. Something like berries or honey, simple for a beginner to toss in during secondary fermentation.

Went through my freezer and found 2 lbs of raspberries 2 lbs of blueberries 4 lbs of black berries and 2 lbs of tropical fruit. Also have about 4 lbs of honey.

Any of these sound like they would be good?

I have not tried the Midwest Irish Red, but I would be careful about adding honey to the secondary. Most reds tend to be relatively dry beers (although they have some sweet flavor). I would worry that adding any kind of sugar/honey would make it even dryer and would give it a very thin mouthfeel. You could try replacing the priming sugar with honey if you want that flavor.

I have never heard of fruit in an Irish Red and can't imagine what it would taste like. I'm guessing someone else will be able to give more guidance on this idea.

As an aside, I am sitting drinking my all grain Irish Red right now.

I'm excited to try it without the additions, but I have 5 gallons and just me to drink it! So I figured why not go ahead and make 3 normal and 2 with a little something-something

Is there really any difference between a red ale and an Irish red ale? I found a thread on here about a killer blackberry red ale which is what got me thinking.

Is there really any difference between a red ale and an Irish red ale? I found a thread on here about a killer blackberry red ale which is what got me thinking.

Nope, a "red ale" is probably an Irish Red. I am not a big fruit guy with my beer, which is why I said others would weigh in. You can certainly give it a try.

Thanks for the responses, I'm a fan of fruity beers so fingers crossed :cross:

Now to decide which ones to use, leaning towards raspberries or blackberries

Blackberries would probably be a good addition, as they are indigenous to UK and Ireland. Split the batch in half and give it a shot. Also, please come back to this thread and let us know the outcome!

Back