Irish music

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
I thought of this while reading this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/what-music-do-you-listen-while-brewing-121313/

I really enjoy traditional irish music, in particular Irish Rebel music. There are quite a few bands that I have found over the years, but my favorite is Erin Og, and the lead singer Gary Og. I have a few compilation CDs that are good too, and the Dubliners are always an easy listen.

In the States, there are a few "Irish" bands that I can listen to for the novelty, like Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphy's and even Street Dogs, but they do not come close to the more authentic music in my opinion.

Anyone else have a take on this topic?

I have several cd's entitled "irish drinking songs" as well as a CD from a band from Dingle that I saw many times. If you're intrested let me know... their name is "dreams of freedom". Good stuff.

The Dubliners. Christy Moore and Planxty. Bill Craig. Penny Whiskey( not very traditional but really good.

Alls I know is that I cannot effing stand Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys. Like I said in that other thread, it's like a cross between real Irish music, Kid Rock and Chumbawumba. Garbage pop crap to cater to drunk-ass college kids. (again, no offense :))

IMO, people who compare things to Chumbawumba have spent some time listening to Chumbawumba.

LOL I kid, I kid.

Granted, Flogging Molly and DM cater to the collge crowd, but in a world where we're surrounded by a lot of crappy music, I prefer bands like these that actually enjoy what they do, and make fun music.

I haven't heard much of the Irish music. I've listened to one or two songs from DKM and even Greenday has some of that style in one or two songs. Might give it a try.

My brewing music is an odd mix. I have the following pandora stations:
  1. Everclear
  2. AC/DC
  3. Rage Against The Machine
  4. Beck
  5. Lo Fidelity Allstars
  6. Black Sabbath
  7. Crosby, Stills & Nash
  8. Cake
  9. The Fixx
1-5 are more commonly used.

#5 is when I'm usually half in the bag or clean-up has started. Usually 2-3AM.

I like the Pogues, Shane McGowan, Filthy Thieveing Bastards, The Tossers, Waterboys and several others, and the ones you mentioned.

I'll respectfully disagree with the Flogging Molly comments... I've seen them live four or five times and it's some of the best shows I've ever been too. Dropkick Murphy's??? Yeah, I'll pass on them but I like Floggin Molly a lot.. i don't see The Pogues as a "college crowd" band even remotely and Flogging Molly is almost a carbon copy of the Pogues.

Hey Evan, I don't mean this in some pissy way... but what do you consider "real irish music"?

I'll respectfully disagree with the Flogging Molly comments... I've seen them live four or five times and it's some of the best shows I've ever been too. Dropkick Murphy's??? Yeah, I'll pass on them but I like Floggin Molly a lot.. i don't see The Pogues as a "college crowd" band even remotely and Flogging Molly is almost a carbon copy of the Pogues.

Hey Evan, I don't mean this in some pissy way... but what do you consider "real irish music"?

Prolly - U2 & Sinead O`Connor. :D

I don't listen to any of it enough to name names (not really my thing, but I can at least respect it for being, on the whole, skillful music and not just drinking chanteys), but the local secondary public radio station does an irish show here every week called "thistle and shamrock" that features tons of stuff that I listen to once in awhile, and is, in my humble opinion, worlds better than DKM, etc.

Thistle and Shamrock is a wonderful show!

Christy Moore has been mentioned - he's oft called the Irish Bob Dylan.

I personally enjoy the old Irish tunes - plaintive, mournful and irreverent.

Alls I know is that I cannot effing stand Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys. Like I said in that other thread, it's like a cross between real Irish music, Kid Rock and Chumbawumba. Garbage pop crap to cater to drunk-ass college kids. (again, no offense :))

I dig the Flogging Molly acoustic album "Whiskey On A Sunday". Very little Kid Rock or Chumbawumba on that album. :)

I mostly go for Arcadian and Maritime folk that take influences from Irish music. Ron Hynes and The Irish Descendants among others.

I thought of this while reading this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/what-music-do-you-listen-while-brewing-121313/

I really enjoy traditional irish music, in particular Irish Rebel music. There are quite a few bands that I have found over the years, but my favorite is Erin Og, and the lead singer Gary Og. I have a few compilation CDs that are good too, and the Dubliners are always an easy listen.

In the States, there are a few "Irish" bands that I can listen to for the novelty, like Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphy's and even Street Dogs, but they do not come close to the more authentic music in my opinion.

Anyone else have a take on this topic?

BEHAN is a great Irish band in Dallas BEHAN FAMILY REVUE!. Very traditional Irish music some fight, some not.. all good classics

I don't listen to any of it enough to name names (not really my thing, but I can at least respect it for being, on the whole, skillful music and not just drinking chanteys), but the local secondary public radio station does an irish show here every week called "thistle and shamrock" that features tons of stuff that I listen to once in awhile, and is, in my humble opinion, worlds better than DKM, etc.

I guess I see FM and DKM as two different worlds... I have every CD FM has made and yeah, they have a couple songs that are "Drop Kick Murphy's like" and are "drinking chanteys" but their whole body of music isn't like that at all so, like I was saying, I'll respectfully disagree. I think they make some good music and also like I was saying, their live shows are fantastic.

FM has a violin lead, a tin whistle in a lot of their music, an accordian in almost every song, a mandolin... and they, IMHO, cross "traditional" irish music using those instruments with modern rock/punk... Dropkick's just scream about being irish and drinking. I think there is a big difference.

OT comments deleted - Mod.

The Pogues are a great band, even though only partly Irish, Shane the lead singer is London Irish.

When I brew, or drink... or brew and drink... Dropkick f*cking Murphys!!! Don't understand all the haters here... I love 'em... Just some high-energy, rock that brew out music.

Shane McGowan... What a freakin' pimp in this video (hope the youtube embed works):

He's a trainwreck, but he and the Pogues are awesome. RIP Ronnie Drew though...

Saw Murphys and Flogging Molly two summers ago, open air, on Penn's Landing in Philly. Such an awesome show... Wish "Meanest of Times" came out a week before the show, rather than after, because I didn't appreciate those songs like I do now though. No weak links on "Meanest", IMO.

Anyone listen to Celtic Crush on Sirius? Used to be on Disorder, but now on Spectrum 18. Saturday mornings. Larry Kirwan from Black 47 hosts... I listen to it more for his trippy ass burnt out stories, but it's something.

Last edited by a moderator:
OT comments deleted - mod

now back on topic I like the some of the Irish Rebel music in that it gives a perspective about some of the things I studied. Take the song "The Orange and the Green" for example. I like the Irish Rovers, Four to the Bar, and the Wolf Tones to name a few.

Damn I Miss NYC sometimes:(
An Irish Bar in Denver is a over done bastardization and tourist trap. An Irish Bar in NYC is a bar full of Irish People

I love Dropkick, Flogging, and the Tossers. I like each of them for different elements.

I like Dropkick for their punk focus. I like their Irish influenced songs and I love their straight street punk songs. They put on a great show that usually has a pretty good mix of people (including a surpising number of older people). I've seen them 4 times in the past ten years and have never walked out of the show wishing they had more stage presence or crowd involvement.

I like Flogging Molly for their mesh of Irish traditional music and rock with a slight infusion of punk. They play good songs and I would love to see them live some day.

I recently got into the Tossers and they are far more traditional than the other two. They are very talented and make a great background for brewing. My favorite of theirs is "Whiskey makes me crazy". That's a winner in my books.

I got into these bands when I was in my college days so I can't argue the college appeal, but for the record: I ****ing hate Chumbawamba and Kid Rock. That stuff is catered more towards 16 year old girls that listen to FM pop radio.

Oh yeah... 300th post! :D

Thanks Z!
The Clancys (w Tommy Makem) was almost all I listened to growing up. My dad had about 4-6 of their LP's. I wish I still had them now as some of the records are out of print/hard to find...

Orfy born and bred in Banbridge when wer you their???

zman maybe you could open a chat about irish affairs and we could talk about them there i think it would be interesting to hear what you guys actually hear and learn about what happens/happenened here, especially since an awful lot of americans descend from here.

i dig irish music, particularly a band named Solas... they are f-ing awesome. 'Solas' and 'Sunny Spells and Scattered Showers' when Karan Casey was the lead singer just rule... Her voice on some of those tunes and the instrumental wizardry of john doyle and seamus egan are almost too much to handle...

Norn.

I'm British. I have a friend who lives in Banbridge who I visit from time to time. He lives in the country in the farming area.
I don't like to debate the situation in public or private with people I don't know. It tends to cause fights and lose friends. That's why I stick to beer and Music. I've spent many a fine time with the friendly people of Ireland.
I learnt not to talk politics or football along time ago. If I don't ask someone's opinion I don't have to fall out with them.
I've been pissed (drunk) with all sorts of people from all over Ireland and have fond memories.
:rockin::mug:

The Blue grass festival was aesome. I want to go back next year.

Orfy, I used to play in a bluegrass band when I lived in Colorado... I got the chance to meet Danny Paisley and the members of the Southern Grass a few times, they are one of my all-time favorite groups of people and bands... I have their CD in my truck right now...

Michael Cleveland is another phenomenon... glad you got to see them!

I was into Irish music for a while. Really got into Clannad for some reason. Maire Brennan's voice is eerily beautiful.

Also, I've always been fascinated by the sound of the uillean pipes... the kind they play in all the films about Scotland because they sound better than Scottish bagpipes.:D

This is my favorite uillean piece. Davy Spillane can make those things cry.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSjmvU_8xLY]YouTube - Davy Spillane Caoineadh Cu Chulainn Uilleann Pipes Riverdance The Show Dublin 1995 (((Stereo)))[/ame]

hehe, I guess you've never been to a Flogging Molly show?

It's not all drunk college kids, it's a lot of drunk old guys too. They are fun to see at a FM show lol. And the band members are nice dudes to hang out with after the shows. Of course, they are drinking quite a bit, ironically(or not), Guinness. And only the lead singer is from Ireland, and maybe his wife (the fiddle and flute player)

But DKM's are in-your-face street punk, but i consider them, Street Dogs, etc, Boston punk more than Irish music.

Back on topic, there was a group that played at the Nine Fine Irishmen in Las Vegas for some time that was really good. They had a girl dancing on the stage. Their name wasn't in English, so I couldnt tell you what it was even if I knew. At any rate, if you like Irish drinking music, check them out.

Slainte :mug:

Back