Irish Moss Problem: Wort smells like seaweed!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
I have always used Whirlfloc but got my hands on some Irish Moss for the first time. It wasn't chopped up, nor did I know it was good to chop it up. Brewed yesterday, and I saw online that 1tsp/5 gallons was the recommended dose, but since it wasn't chopped up I took Brulosophy's advice (http://brulosophy.com/2015/03/16/the-irish-moss-effect-exbeeriment-results/) and used 5 grams as my dosing rate.

When I was racking the beer the wort smelled very strongly of seaweed. And today, the day after pitching, the wort still has an undeniable seaweed smell AND taste.

I added the recommended amount. What happened??!!

Never had trouble with Irish moss contributing to the flavor. I'd say relax, let it ferment out and taste it then.

I don't think you'll have a problem. I recently made a similar mistake, made a 1 gallon batch of Irish Red and without thinking dosed it with enough Irish moss for 5 gallons. Smelled like you described, seaweed. The smell fermented out and left no off flavors.

Try rehydrating your Irish moss in room temp water for a couple hours before you'll need it. Then just before adding it, use a fine mesh tea strainer to filter out the IM, give it a quick rinse then into the boil kettle. Works better this way and also leaves behind a lot of the seaweed smell.

I’ve smelled that smell and I’ve never been able to Taste it! Humm I just quit adding agents altogether

fwiw, I use 1 teaspoon of dried IM per 10 gallon batch, applied with 15 minutes left in the boil. It does a good job of gluing cold break into something that can be left behind with the bulk of the hop pellet fragments that escaped the spider. There is no discernible character note from the IM at that dosage yet its effectivity can't be denied.

I recall a post from 2017 where the OP related he'd dumped a full ounce of IM in the boil and easily picked it up on sampling. Don't know what eventually happened with that beer.

Don't do that...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back