Irish moss in wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMSU4ever

Reaction score
I have wine in keg. I do not have the "clay" that normally goes in wine. But I do have moss. I was thinking of making a simple syrup and putting in the moss for the last 3 to 5 minutes. Anyways will this clear up my wine? Thanks for reading. :confused:

Or will time just clear it up? It has only been 2 weeks in the keg.

If I remember correctly Irish moss is generally for cleaning up protean hazes. I don't think it has much use in wines. For me all I use is pectic enzyme to break down pectins you get with many fruits and gravity/time takes care of the rest. Also I know many recipes have you add the bentonite powder in the primary but I have never done that. If I ever needed it I add the bentonite at secondary once most of the yeast is clear and that helps just as well.

Thanks Arpolis. That is another thing I can not buy either,Oh well, I will just transfer it once agin to get rid of then yeast. Or go to a brew store. Still a fun project.

Latest posts

Back