Iraq Deployment Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy981

Reaction score
I am leaving for Iraq in a few months and I want to brew a BAMF of a barleywine to age while I am gone and to drink when I get back. I brew all grain now but I have never formulated my own recipe. I want to make something that will be good for quite a while and I am going to make a ten gallon batch. I have a 70qt MT so I want to do about the baddest and meanest barleywine I can using that equipment. Also using some extract to get the ABV I want is a possibility. I want something that I can name and not feel like it is plagerism so I would like to make my own recipe but and more than willing to alter an existing one or even just use one that is already established. If anyone has any good barleywine recipes or tips on how to formulate your own feel free to post. I need some input.

Don't be afraid of high IBU's. With all the maltiness and the fact that it's going to age a long time you want the IBU's high. I was timid for my first barleywine, but stuck to the recipe, and its turning out nicely. 80-100+ IBU's is no problem for an aged barlewine. In a year+ you'll be glad you went high.
From Radical Brewing:
6# Vienna Malt
4# Pale Ale Malt
3# LDME
1# 40-60 Crystal Malt
.5# Biscuit Malt
hops: Northern Brewer, E. Kent Goldings, Cascade
OG:1.091 IBU: 107
It's not done yet but there's an outline/idea. Hope this helps.

Back