IR Thermometer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tat2Pompadore

Reaction score
Has anyone used an IR infrared thermometer to check mash temperatures? I have used them at work for steel temps, machine temps., etc. I have one in my toolbox at home. I just saw on a homebrew finds site, that they were in use for something or another. There were no real explanation to it. I am going to put mine to the test on my next brew. I'm just curious if anyone else has used these in their brew arsenal.

Has anyone used an IR infrared thermometer to check mash temperatures? I have used them at work for steel temps, machine temps., etc. I have one in my toolbox at home. I just saw on a homebrew finds site, that they were in use for something or another. There were no real explanation to it. I am going to put mine to the test on my next brew. I'm just curious if anyone else has used these in their brew arsenal.

I have one and I use it after I stir the mash a little. I tested it along side a stick thermometer and it matched just fine so It works. However I would rather not open my mash tun that often so it would be nice to have an npt thermometer.

I don't really trust mine but every time I use it side-by-side with my trusted thermowerks they come out the same, so maybe I should trust it more?

The problem with an IR thermometer is that it measures the temperature of the surface. I use a Thermapen and find that the mash temp varies until I stir it very well. Then the surface quickly cools compared to the middle of the grain bed.

Back