Iphone apps for home brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys! We've been listening, and have just completed support for BeerXML! While some features are handicapped, we were actually able to implement it very well and have it in the hands of our beta testers. All in all, over the past two years we've continued to align iBrewMaster more with industry standards, including things such as metric support, which BeerXML exports unit measurements in. Additionally, we were able to handle almost all conversions to / from BeerXML seamlessly. So what are the remaining issues? iBrewMaster allows you to have an unlimited number of fermentation steps, while BeerXML only supports Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary. This shouldn't be a problem for most users, however. iBrewMaster will simply drop additional fermentation steps that are not named "Primary", "Secondary", "Tertiary", and "Bottle/Keg". Bottle/Keg becomes the Age step in BeerXML. We don't see this as an issue because additional fermentation steps are outside of the scope of BeerXML. Additionally any program that you are importing to probably doesn't support additional fermentation steps in the first place or you can simply add them. Next, some advanced mash steps in iBrewMaster will require tweaking in other apps. Finally, iBrewMaster supports some measurements in Additions (BeerXML's MISCS tag) that simply can not be converted to a weight. Examples are Cup, Each tsp, tbsp, which would depend on the particular ingredient. Other than that, the implementation went extremely well! As always, we're not going to stop there...we have implemented almost every feature that users have asked for, or have plans to do so, so keep the suggestions and requests coming! Our goal has always been to have a major release once per quarter and have exceeded that goal! Versions 1.45.3 for the iPad and 2.75.3 for the iPhone will include the BeerXML support and minor updates. It will be released as soon as our beta testers complete their testing. After that, we'll be returning our focus to the highly anticipated Mac version as well as an Android version!

Cheers!
Joe

iBrewMaster said:
Hey guys! We've been listening, and have just completed support for BeerXML! While some features are handicapped, we were actually able to implement it very well and have it in the hands of our beta testers. All in all, over the past two years we've continued to align iBrewMaster more with industry standards, including things such as metric support, which BeerXML exports unit measurements in. Additionally, we were able to handle almost all conversions to / from BeerXML seamlessly. So what are the remaining issues? iBrewMaster allows you to have an unlimited number of fermentation steps, while BeerXML only supports Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary. This shouldn't be a problem for most users, however. iBrewMaster will simply drop additional fermentation steps that are not named "Primary", "Secondary", "Tertiary", and "Bottle/Keg". Bottle/Keg becomes the Age step in BeerXML. We don't see this as an issue because additional fermentation steps are outside of the scope of BeerXML. Additionally any program that you are importing to probably doesn't support additional fermentation steps in the first place or you can simply add them. Next, some advanced mash steps in iBrewMaster will require tweaking in other apps. Finally, iBrewMaster supports some measurements in Additions (BeerXML's MISCS tag) that simply can not be converted to a weight. Examples are Cup, Each tsp, tbsp, which would depend on the particular ingredient. Other than that, the implementation went extremely well! As always, we're not going to stop there...we have implemented almost every feature that users have asked for, or have plans to do so, so keep the suggestions and requests coming! Our goal has always been to have a major release once per quarter and have exceeded that goal! Versions 1.45.3 for the iPad and 2.75.3 for the iPhone will include the BeerXML support and minor updates. It will be released as soon as our beta testers complete their testing. After that, we'll be returning our focus to the highly anticipated Mac version as well as an Android version!

Cheers!
Joe

Good to hear! Thanks for the extremely quick bug fix regarding new batch crashes, I commend you on your product support.

I'm looking at different software programs right now and am hoping to get something that works on my PC and iPhone both. Will iBrewMaster be releasing a PC client that syncs with the smart phone platforms at any point in time?

Unfortunately, not right now. We have an iPhone, iPad, and Mac version. Android will be released any day now. We are looking into a Windows Mobile app...probably v 8 when it comes out and then altering the UI to create a PC version as well.

I'm still waiting for some basic calculators to show up on the Brewmaster for my iPhone... Some basic homebrewing calculators. And also the ability to add a second yeast.

iBrewMaster said:
Unfortunately, not right now. We have an iPhone, iPad, and Mac version. Android will be released any day now. We are looking into a Windows Mobile app...probably v 8 when it comes out and then altering the UI to create a PC version as well.

What is the timeline on the Android app? I do not use any PC based program (long story). I use brewr on my phone. How about sending over a link so I can put it on my bionic and give it a spin?

Yes, we have calculators planned! So many feature requests, so little time! :-D But don't worry, we probably have a year and a half backlog of new features!

Android is done! It's already been uploaded to the Market Place, but still have a few more settings and graphics to get loaded before we release it. We anticipate it being released Friday! Cheers!

Does the Mac version sync with the iPhone version? I could use my wife's laptop for both that way.

Saw on the site that you can import/export between apple products, but not sync - how does that work?

Hey D-Hutt,
There are a few options you have now. First, you can go to the Setup and import / export using iBrewMasterXML if going between iBrewMaster apps. Or, you can import / export using BeerXML, but it's not 100% compatible as we support features that they don't. You would be pretty good on imports, but not as good on exports. For example, the BeerXML standard only supports 3 fermentation steps, where iBrewMaster supports an unlimited number, so if you had more than 3, they would just drop off.
Also, in the latest version, we now support Dropbox! You can sign up for a Dropbox account and backup / restore your database to Dropbox and even move your db between devices!

Hope it helps!
Cheers!

I've tried both ibrewmaster and brewpal...I would say brewpal is much more simple and user friendly...ibrewmaster plus is it comes with recipes...all the northernbrewer recipes which is pretty sweet...

Some other brew apps I find very useful that brewpal and ibrewmaster lack....

The BJCPStyles app...just a simple reference guide for beer styles if you care about that sort of thing

Hopularity - good reference app on hop variety....looking for a replacement hop...very simple app

BN Mobile - Listen to the Brewing Network podcast

BrewGene - help find you beer..tasting notes...etc

Surprised no one has published out a good yeast calculator like mrmalty

Hi Schumed,
Just want to point out that iBrewMaster not only supports the BJCP Styles and lists them, but also indicates in Green those parameters that your recipe or batch meet, in Yellow those that are slightly out of bounds, and in Red those that are way out of bounds. A nice feature if you're looking to submit a brew to a competition!

Cheers!

Hey D-Hutt,
Yes...they are two separate apps that our developers wrote from scratch. You can run the iPhone version on the iPad for no additional cost of course, but we wanted a version that took advantage of the additional screen space, has nice popups, slide-in screens, allows you to view your list of recipes / batches on the left, while viewing a specific recipe / batch on the right. Unfortunately, some users don't understand that it's not just a bigger copy of the same app that we are charging for, but rather one that has to constantly be updated and maintained differently than the iPhone version. After all, if it were the same app, it wouldn't exist!

Cheers!

I'll throw my support in for iBrewMaster. I've been using it about a year now, and have gone to it exclusively since Joe and co. added inventory support. The app is fantastic, and does almost everything I need. I no longer use BeerSmith since it is tied to my PC, whereas I take my iPad around with me on brew day for iBrewMaster and Pandora ;-)

The iBrewMaster team is constantly adding new features - I'm always looking forward to new stuff they've added. Their support is also fantastic. I had an issue with my database and Joe responded immediately and got it resolved in a few days. If you have any suggestions, they also take them all into account.

Hats off to the iBrewMaster team - you've got a great product!

Ok, just bought ibrewmaster for iPhone. I'm trying to import a beerxml file. What's the easiest way to do this?

Edit: I emailed the text to myself and copypasta - i'm guessing that's the fastest way?

Any apps to measure color in SRM? Would be great to take a pic and have the app analyze it.

Beer alchemy is best so far for me - you can sync recipes on your desktop CPU without buying the desktop version - its got good brew day calculators as well

Okay so I was just going to check out brewpal and it has been removed from the app store?

Okay so I was just going to check out brewpal and it has been removed from the app store?

He is updating it to version 2.0... but it was buggy, give him time to re-offer it.... I love the brewpal app... have used it for 2 years and think it offers the best options... I have all the iPad apps and find them all lacking. The "$15 app" doesn't even calculate sparge water without doing like a 20 step work around!!! Personally I admire the notion of removing the software because it has issues... Some other 'Brew' software developers seem to keep expensive beta offerings out there and wait for complaints.

iBrewmaster keeps getting better and better. I'm very glad I purchased this, and it is constantly being improved. I am also learning how to better utilize it too as it is a fairly complex.

It'd be nice to have a water chemistry calculator and water profiles for ibrewmaster. I make additions for almost every brew.

Unless you had a standardized light source, it wouldn't be possible.

I've seen shopping apps that allow you to click a color in a picture and it generates what color it is. Maybe not to the technical level that SRM is... But its for color matching decor in a home (like furniture, etc.)

I've seen shopping apps that allow you to click a color in a picture and it generates what color it is. Maybe not to the technical level that SRM is... But its for color matching decor in a home (like furniture, etc.)

Beer color standards are generally measurements of light transmission, not reflection. Photographic imaging can't tell the difference between these two things. If you take two pictures of the same beer, one backlit and one frontlit, you'll get radically different representations of color. Without a standardized light source, there's really no way around this problem.

Since I've also been looking for software, I have been keeping tabs on Brew Pal. And I just noticed that Brew Pal is back in the iTunes App Store.

Go get it everyone that's been waiting.

amellors said:
Since I've also been looking for software, I have been keeping tabs on Brew Pal. And I just noticed that Brew Pal is back in the iTunes App Store.

Go get it everyone that's been waiting.

Just read the comments for the new version... Doesn't look good...

squeekybobo said:
Just read the comments for the new version... Doesn't look good...

I was worried about the same thing. Are there any decent alternatives?

Just purchased. Running through and found a glitch which I sent over to author

Back