ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william2010

Reaction score
Just tried my ipa that I have had bottled for two weeks. My in law who I was brewing with had put a lot of hops in for dry hopping. We left it in there for the full two weeks. It taste very grassy. Not a super bad taste and to be honest it isn't a bad beer. But the only issue I had was carbonation I don't know if it was the dextrose or if we didn't have enough. I have used sucrose and had great results. But this stuff was not super flat but you could tell. Think it will carb anymore? I hope. But as for hops I think we put in way way to many. Any feedback or criticism very helpful.

As far as carbonation goes, the amount of yeast in the beer, and the temperature at which you condition at have an noticeable effect.

Send me one and I will give you some feedback! :D

Do you thinks of it was a little to cold for two weeks and we moved em somewhere a little warmer it like make a difference. Because we put them on our garage and they seemed cool to the touch when I tool one out. Just thinking of some ways that maybe could save the carb.

Do you thinks of it was a little to cold for two weeks and we moved em somewhere a little warmer it like make a difference. Because we put them on our garage and they seemed cool to the touch when I tool one out. Just thinking of some ways that maybe could save the carb.

It's only been two weeks. That's the problem. It's not that you need to "save the carb" at all.

It simply takes about three weeks or longer at 70 degrees to fully carb, especially with a higher ABV beer. If they were cool in the garage, that time doesn't "count" so put them someplace warmer for at least three weeks, then chill and try one.

Do you thinks of it was a little to cold for two weeks and we moved em somewhere a little warmer it like make a difference.

3 weeks at 70 degrees is about the minimum for an avg gravity beer.... higher OG would take longer. This chart by LazyLlama shows this process beautifully:

chart.jpg

Also don't forget to chill the bottles for at least 4-7 days before you open one up.

As for it being grassy, that's because you left it on the dry hops too long. 14 days is the absolute [recommended] limit for dry hopping (at room temp). I've had great results dry hopping for up to 7 days when in primary, or adding directly to the serving keg (1oz/3 gallons of beer). Since doing both methods, I'm only dry hopping in serving keg now. The hop contribution is stable, and great, for as long as the keg lasts (usually 4-6 weeks from when the hops are added). Since the keg immediately goes into the brewfridge to be carbonated, it's good. I also add the hops inside a nylon mesh bag, so that nothing gets plugged up with hop leaf (I use whole hops for dry hopping)...

Latest posts

Back