IPA tweak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcollins

Reaction score
I'm brewing with a friend of mine tomorrow and came up with the following recipe. I've called it Brent's IPA in honour of him and for lack of any better name. Here's what I've got:

8lbs Pale LME
1/4 lb Crystal 40
1/4 lb Crystal 80
1.5 oz Cascade 60 minutes
0.5 oz Cascade 30 minutes
0.5 oz Fuggles 30 minutes
0.5 oz Cascade 5 minutes
0.5 oz Cascade dry hop
S-05 yeast

OG 1.061
IBU 47.6

Seems straight up to me but maybe I'm missing something?

For IPAs, I like big hop flavor and aroma, so I'd do the bittering at 60 minutes like you have, and then not do another addition until 20 or 15 minutes for flavoring hops. In my opinion, 30 minute hops in an IPA aren't useful. You won't get much flavor out of them, and you won't get much bitterness either with a 30 minute boil.

My IPA bittering schedule is usually 60 minutes, 15 minutes, 5 minutes, 0 minutes and dry hop. Or, 60, 15, 10, 5, 0. Something like that.

I think the fuggles will get totally lost in there, especially at 30 minutes.

The grain bill looks good, the 80 might give a slight toffee flavor, but your right in keeping the crystal under 5% of the bill. My preference for hopping a pale or IPA is quite heavy toward the end of the boil which imparts the huge hop flavor and aroma with out the bitterness. If your recipe doent give your the hop flavor looking for, do a 60-30-10-0 and really go heavy on the 10 and 0 additions. The 30 min addition is up for debate.

Hey thanks folks! Great input.

Grain/extract bill remains the same but what about this hop schedule then:

1.5 oz Cascade 60 minutes
0.5 oz Cascade 15 minutes
0.5 oz Fuggles 15 minutes
0.5 oz Cascade 5 minutes
(something at flameout?)
0.5 oz Cascade dry hop

So I have an ounce each of Fuggles and Willamette and a bunch of ounces of NZ Hallertau. I can understand the Fuggles getting lost in amongst the Cascade but I put it in there for IBUs. Am I better off just leaving it out and ending up with a Cascade IPA or could I add or substitute some others in there?

And what to add at flameout?

Thanks for all the input.

I would suggest getting your IBU's to around 60. I like to use Magnum as my bittering addition in my IPA(but any higher alpha hop will do), and save the lower alpha hops for later in the boil. I would up your late additions to an ounce each and Dry Hop with no less than an Ounce, in fact I would suggest going with 2oz or more.

Ok, maybe a change of plans is in order.

Considering what I have on hand hop-wise, I may back this off a bit to more of an APA and do all Cascade. I only have 3oz of Cascade, 1oz Fuggles, 1oz Willamette and a whole bunch of NZ Hallertau so not a whole lot to work with.

Cutting back on the LME to 6.5-7lbs, keeping the Crystal and changing the hop schedule to:

all Cascade
1.5 oz 60
0.5 oz 15
0.5 oz flameout
0.5 dry

Thoughts on this one?

I don't know the AAs but maybe you can do bittering with the Fuggles or NZH (if they're not too low) and then move all the cascade to like 10, 0, and DH.

Back