IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarkin

Reaction score
I'm thinking this will be my next beer. The hop mix is because I've got some frozen left overs to use. I really wanted to use Summit thought because I think it's AA is dang high. Any thoughts on this?

5gal batch.

6lbs Golden Light DME
3lbs Sparkling Amber DME
1lb Vienna Malt grains
1lb Carapils grains

1oz Summit @60mins
0.5oz Nugget @45mins
1oz Columbus @30mins
0.5oz Cascade @15mins
0.5oz Cascade @ 0min

Wyeast American Ale 1056

Plugging your recipe into brewers friend with a 70% efficiency shows.

OG: 1.085
FG: 1.019
IBU: 60
ABV: 8.5 @ 70% efficiency

You have enough IBU's but may want far more whirlpool and dryhop.

I vote for more hops personally. I think around 6 ounces of hops should suite well.

Remembering that 60 min additions is for bitterness 15-30 is for flavor and the last few mins are for aroma.

I would also use a few ounces of whirlpool hops and maybe followed up with a dry hop.

Mine tend to wind up with about 6 ounces total. 14 ounces seems extreme.

Move the 45 and 30 minute additions to about 10 or less for more flavor and aroma. You might need to adjust the bittering hop amounts.

Use an online recipe calculator if you aren't already.

http://byo.com/body/item/1197-oh-say-can-you-c

Here is an article on American IPA's by BYO mag. They say this about hops.

Since you will be adding a relatively large amount of hops late in the boil, and hops absorb wort, most brewers use high-alpha hops (over 8% alpha acids) for their bittering.

Late addition hops are sometimes divided into flavor hops (added with around 15 minutes left in the boil) and aroma hops (added near the end of the boil). To get the proper level of hop flavor in a American pale ale, you should add 0.5–1.0 oz. (14–28 g) per 5 gallons (19 L) of flavor hops to your wort. You should likewise add another 0.5–1.0 oz. (14–28 g) of aroma hops, more if you don’t dry hop. Dry hop additions in the 0.75–1.5 oz. (21–43 g) range will give you a nice level of dry hop aroma. Increase all these levels by 0.25–0.50 oz. (7–14 g) for IPAs and at least that much again for double IPAs.

I think you need to completely re-tool your hops schedule and get at least tiwce as much (I would go 3-4x though). Ditch the 30 and 45 min additions, they are pointless if you want a punchy hop flavor. Concentrate on late boil and dry hop additions. Adjust your 60min accordingly. As youve got it now, it will taste like a commercial IPA thats been on the shelf for 2 years (lots of bitterness, zero hop chartacter)

I would also definitely dtich the amber LME. It has no place in an IPA. Way too much crystal in that stuff when they make it. Plus, you are doing an extract-bsed beer which are notorious for coming out too sweet / high on FG due to the lack of control with the mash temp. Replace it with some simple sugars to combat this or your IPA will be sickly sweet

thanks everyone. I'm so new to this I've never dry hopped or whirl-pooled anything. I think I understand dry hopping but I'm really unclear on how to whirlpool.

Can anyone expand on these techniques for me?

Also, about replacing the Amber DME - other than DME and priming sugar for carbonation I don't think I've done anything with simple sugars.

Can anyone offer more details on that or is there a different DME I should use for an American IPA?

I'm going to add more hops and move the times to focus their purpose. Thanks again everyone.

Back