Ipa recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foghead

Reaction score
Been working on perfecting an ipa recipe for the last few months. After trying the latest version last night i have one problem remaining. There is a lingering bitterness to the beer, I would like to get it to have a nice clean finish. Here is the recipe for a 12 gallon batch

16# 2 row

7# Pilsen

1# rye

1# wheat

8oz acidulated

2 # corn sugar

2 oz chinook 60 min

1 oz amarillo 10 mins

1 oz citra 10 mins

1 oz simcoe 10 mins

1 oz Amarillo 5 mins

1 oz citra 5 mins

1 oz simcoe 5 mins

1 oz Amarillo flameout

1 oz citra flameout

1 oz simcoe flameout

4 oz galaxy dry hop at 5 days

Mashed at 148 for 60 mins using tap water.

It has a great flavor, very nice aroma but the bitterness lingers on the pallet Any advice on how to get that nice clean finish?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd do some easy water analysis/additions. You can probably get a water report from your city. At worst, do some filtering and/or campden tablets to get the chlorine, or chloramine, out. I can't say if that'll do what you want. But, doing some basic water treatment has greatly improved my beers. I'd also check mrmalty.com to ensure proper pitch rates. Though, I doubt that is the is the source of the issue with bitterness.

Split your 60 minute addition in half. 1oz fwh and 1oz @ 60 minutes. I love Chinook. In my IPA I have a couple oz of warrior fwh and then another couple oz of Chinook at 90. Lots of Columbus and simcoe at the end. Dryhop with Amarillo. It works out. Nice and aromatic and less lingering bitter.

I do want to know about your water profile too. What is your chloride to sulfate ratio? How much sulfate total in mg/l?

It sounds like a water chemistry issue, but chinook is noted by many to be "harsh" and so 2 ounces at 60 minutes may be a bit too much for your taste. You could try a cleaner hop like magnum at 60 minutes, using that one addition to get to about 30 IBUs and then fill the recipe with late hops.

I'd look at the water as well, as a too-high mash pH can also give a harsher lingering bitterness.

Back