IPA Recipe using Lemon Drop! Criticize me!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndDrink916

Reaction score
Working on this recipe let me know what you all think.

All Grain
5.5 Gallon
90 min boil
Fly Sparge
152 Mash 165 Sparge

1.071 SG
76.3 IBU
6.5 SRM
7.4% ABV

80% 2 Row
6.7% Victory
6.7% Vienna
6.7 Maris Otter
FWH - Simcoe 15 G
Apollo for bittering at 60
Centennial at 20
Centennial at 5
Centennial Whirlpool 25 min 28 G
Lemon Drop Whirlpool 25 min 28 G

San Diego 090 Big Starter

Dry Hop 2 twice
Lemon Drop at 3 days
Lemon Drop another 3 days
Cold Crash for 2 days

Package.

let me know what you think. Couple thoughts that you can tell me why I am wrong. I think some simcoe FWH just gives a little rounding. Might do little but I notice it slightly in my last IPA. The rest was just throwing different Ideas.

Thanks !:ban:

My main observation is you're overcomplicating. 6.7% Maris Otter is going to do very little, same with the Vienna.

Also, first wort hopping and bittering at 60? Pick one or the other. There's a fine line between complex and complicated.

Well it wouldn't be the first time I have hear someone say I over complicate things. Thanks for the feedback!

Any advise on how I can make this complex and interesting, and not complicated?

First Wort and 60' hopping are different in character - it's fine to use both.

If you want some Vienna character, I would boost that percentage to about 10%. A little Vienna in an IPA is a nice touch. The Maris Otter, like the previous poster said, is not going to do much at <7%. You may also consider a dextrose addition or mashing a degree or two lower if you want a west-coast style IPA.

Lemondrop is, according to Wayne Wambles, a fairly subtle hop, so it might get outshined (outshone?) by the other hops - just in case, I would change the whirlpool addition to all lemondrop instead of Lemondrop + Centennial.

Seems to me like your Centennial will overpower everything else. If you really want to have Lemondrop show up you have to use more of it and some earlier in the boil than a whirlpool IMHO. I agree with the above posts regarding Vienna at around 10% or so. If you want the biscuit flavor from the Maris Otter but still want to use 2-row you can do a 50/50 mix with good results.

Back