IPA recipe Question (McHales IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisRC1985

Reaction score
Hey Guys. - So I have been trying to find a great tasting / simple beer to brew, for my 2nd brew.

I came across Mchale's I.P.A (I Love a Hoppy beer), ingredients are as follows;

2 cans Alexander's pale malt extract
0.5 lb. American crystal malt, 40° Lovibond
4 oz. Centennial hops, 1.5 oz. for 60 min., 0.5 oz. for 30 min., 1 oz. for 2 min., 1 oz. dry hop
1 tsp. Irish moss (optional)
Wyeast 1056 American ale yeast
2 tbsp. gelatin finings (optional)
3/4 cup corn sugar for priming

Step by Step:
Steep grains in 1 gal. of 155° F water for 30 minutes. Remove grains and add 3 more gals. of water. Turn off heat and add extract. Return to boil. When boiling starts, add 1.5 oz. of hops. Boil 30 minutes. Add Irish moss (optional) and 0.5 oz. of hops and boil 30 minutes more. Add 1 oz. of hops during the last two minutes of boil. Total boil is 60 minutes. Pitch yeast when wort cools. Dry hop with final ounce of hops (add to primary fermenter two days before racking). Use gelatin (optional) in secondary fermenter and/or at bottling.

My questions Are;
1) Will Gelatin have the same effect as corn sugar? I assume there must be a way to carbonate the beer, or was the corn sugar just left out??
2) I do not have a 2nd fermenter..I was planning on taking Hydrometer readings after 10 days, to see when I would get consistent readings, then bottle the beer after I get the same reading.....Do I need to have a 2nd fermenter for this brew???

Thanks!

Gelatin is used to clear beer, it will not carbonate it. You'll still use priming sugar in the bottling bucket.

There's no need for a secondary fermenter. Typically for an IPA I'll let it ferment for two weeks, add the dry hops and let it sit another week before packaging.

The recipe sounds pretty good, but personally I'd move the 30 minute hop addition to 10 minutes or so. Should be tasty!

Back