IPA Recipe...just playing around

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2Brewing3

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. But I have been doing all grain brews for a while now, but always went by a recipe, whether it was a kit or a recipe I found on here. But I have been playing around with Beer Smith and trying to come up with an IPA recipe just using some stuff that I have left over. I started adding ingredients to the program and here is basically what I have:

11 Lbs 2 Row
1 Lbs Crystal 80L
.5 oz Citra 60 min
1 oz Citra 30 min
1 oz Cascade 10 min
1 oz Centenial 5 min
Dry hop with .5 oz Citra and 1 oz Centenial

My question is that I also have about 4 oz Honey malt in the fridge. Wondering if anyone has ever threw Honey Malt into an IPA? Don't know if it will matter much at such a small amount. But wondering if it would have any adverse effect on the bitter side of it? The bitter and sweet would somewhat counteract each other I assume? Just doesn't seem like an IPA is a great place for Honey, but wondering if it will hurt anything or make any kind of difference. I don't know what else I would use 4 oz of Honey Malt for in the near future and it would be better than throwing it out because it went stale. Anyone have any thoughts?

Personally, I would use the 4 ounces of honey malt and leave out all of the Crystal 80. Or, I would use 4-8 ounces of the crystal 80 and not use the honey malt or the rest of the crystal.

The other thing I would do is bitter with Centennial and move that citra to flame out and put the citra in the dry hop. I would also move the 30 minute citra to late addition or dry hop

Maybe something like:
Centennial to bitter
Cascade at 30
Centennial at 10
Citra at 5
1 oz. Citra dry and .5 ounce centennial dry (or cascade instead of the centennial).

I think you may end up with more of a hoppy pale ale than a full out IPA with this. But, overall it looks good.

I would be concerned with the grain bill (as is) giving you a beer that is too sweet/caramel and not enough hops to cut through it. That is why I suggest dumping all of the crystal out and using the 4 ounces of Honey malt instead. Touch of sweetness to the beer, but not enough to overpower the hops.

Personally, I would use the 4 ounces of honey malt and leave out all of the Crystal 80. Or, I would use 4-8 ounces of the crystal 80 and not use the honey malt or the rest of the crystal.

The other thing I would do is bitter with Centennial and move that citra to flame out and put the citra in the dry hop. I would also move the 30 minute citra to late addition or dry hop

Maybe something like:
Centennial to bitter
Cascade at 30
Centennial at 10
Citra at 5
1 oz. Citra dry and .5 ounce centennial dry (or cascade instead of the centennial).

I think you may end up with more of a hoppy pale ale than a full out IPA with this. But, overall it looks good.

I would be concerned with the grain bill (as is) giving you a beer that is too sweet/caramel and not enough hops to cut through it. That is why I suggest dumping all of the crystal out and using the 4 ounces of Honey malt instead. Touch of sweetness to the beer, but not enough to overpower the hops.

So just for my learning, what would I have to do to make this a full out IPA instead of a hoppy pale ale? Would I need to add more grains?
Also if I added more hops to the schedule could I keep the crystal in? Just for some darker color and a little more body to it.

So just for my learning, what would I have to do to make this a full out IPA instead of a hoppy pale ale? Would I need to add more grains?
Also if I added more hops to the schedule could I keep the crystal in? Just for some darker color and a little more body to it.

Grains are probably fine - that generally just depends on your efficiency. I think, in general, most people would add more hops. I tend to be in the 10-16 ounce range of hops for my really hoppy IPA/DIPA type beers. at least an ounce to bitter. Lots toward the end, flame out and as dry hop. 3-5 ounces in the dry hop for 3 days or so.

You could keep the crystal in. It will give it more color and body. I don't know that I would throw the honey malt in on top of the crystal though.

What you have should be a good beer. Plus, everyone's tastes are different, so you have to brew with your own tastes in mind. I definitely would save those citra for the end/dry hop though.... that is where they will shine, as compared to bittering with them. Use whatever you do as a starting point and then rebrew with any changes in mind - adding or subtracting hops. More or less crystal/caramel, etc. That is really the only way to know for sure what works best for you.

Grains are probably fine - that generally just depends on your efficiency. I think, in general, most people would add more hops. I tend to be in the 10-16 ounce range of hops for my really hoppy IPA/DIPA type beers. at least an ounce to bitter. Lots toward the end, flame out and as dry hop. 3-5 ounces in the dry hop for 3 days or so.

You could keep the crystal in. It will give it more color and body. I don't know that I would throw the honey malt in on top of the crystal though.

What you have should be a good beer. Plus, everyone's tastes are different, so you have to brew with your own tastes in mind. I definitely would save those citra for the end/dry hop though.... that is where they will shine, as compared to bittering with them. Use whatever you do as a starting point and then rebrew with any changes in mind - adding or subtracting hops. More or less crystal/caramel, etc. That is really the only way to know for sure what works best for you.

Thanks for all the info. That is a huge amount of hops. Are you doing 10 gallon batches at that? I guess I forgot to mention this was a 5 gallon batch. I will certainly take your advice on what hops to use at different times and move the Citra towards the end. If it doesn't seem hoppy enough I will try more on the next go round. With this recipe it will be cheap enough to give it a few tries to perfect it. Thanks again for the advice. I will see how it all turns out.

6 gallon batches:) I like my hops - Almost all of it goes in at the end of the boil or dry hop though, so it is not overly bitter - just tons of flavor and aroma.

Wow and I thought I liked hops. Again I appreciate your guidance and I will give it a whirl...then probably tweak a few times until I get it just right:cool:

Personally, I think it would be better to let the honey malt go stale and throw it out than use it. It ieaves a very sweet flavor, and 4 ozs in 5 gallons will be very noticeable. I think you either like the malt or not ........ I am in the camp that does not like it.

Bitter with centennial and move the citra to the end.

5 ozs of hops is low. I've used a pound+ before now, but not often. I usually use 8 to 10 ozs in an American IPA.

Cut the crystal in half. You want it dry, not sweet. I'd toss in a pound (about 10%) of table sugar to help dry it out.

Back