IPA recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foghead

Reaction score
Put together this IPA recipe using a little honey instead of sugar to up the gravity a bit. I'll be brewing a 11 gallon batch and will be doing a couple of 2L starters with white labs California ale yeast. Any input, thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

23 # 2 row
1.5 # crystal 10
8oz honey malt

2# wildflower honey added at flameout

1 oz warriors first wort
1.25 oz warrior 60min
2 oz cascade 15 min
1oz citra 5 min
1oz mosaic 5 min

1oz cascade flameout
1oz mosaic flameout
1oz citra flameout

Dry hop with
2 oz citra
2 oz mosaic

Target gravity is 1.063

Looks very nice, I'd just up the amounts of your late and dry hops. The amounts you've got here would be my minimum on a five gallon batch. Don't get me wrong, what you've got will make a good beer, but it may be a bit light on hop flavor and aroma

That's a lot of warrior hops for bittering (2.25 ounces). Some people really like a very firm strong bitterness in their IPAs and others not as much. If you run that through some brewing software, you may find that it's fine, but my warrior hops are 15% AAUs, and that would be too powerful for me in many cases. I like getting about 40 IBUs from the bittering hops, and then the remainder from the late hops. But like I said, many others would prefer the harsher firmer bitterness in an IPA.

Without calculating it or running through software, it looks like it's easily 85+ IBUs. Often, my preference is in the 60s, depending on the OG of the beer. I'd decrease the warrior significantly, and increase the late/whirlpool hops for more flavor and aroma without an intense bitterness.

Okay. I doubled the late addition hops so it will be

2oz mosaic 5 min
2oz citra 5 mins

2oz mosaic flameout
2oz citra flameout
1oz cascade flameout

I think I will also increase the dry hop to 3 oz each of mosaic and citra.

I'm using the brew pal app and it calculated the ibus at 61 for a 11 gallon batch. Is this correct or is the brew pal software no good.

Okay. I doubled the late addition hops so it will be

2oz mosaic 5 min
2oz citra 5 mins

2oz mosaic flameout
2oz citra flameout
1oz cascade flameout

I think I will also increase the dry hop to 3 oz each of mosaic and citra.

I'm using the brew pal app and it calculated the ibus at 61 for a 11 gallon batch. Is this correct or is the brew pal software no good.

It doesn't seem accurate to be only 61 IBUs. Perhaps it's not counting the FWH addition? It's definitely more like 85+ IBUs. Maybe try running it through Brewer's Friend, and checking the AAUs on your warrior hops?

Back