IPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuGordon

Reaction score
Comments and suggestions welcome.

I'm looking for an IPA that has a wonderful piney hop aroma with some fruit in there also. It should have a nice malt backbone that gives way to an almost over the top bitterness, followed by the awesome flavors associated with Citra and Amarillo...

5.5 gal
75% Efficiency for a OG of 1.066 and FG of 1.012
60 minute Boil

Grist
10.5 lb 2-Row
1 lb Vienna
8 oz Crystal 20
8 oz Crystal 60
8 oz Wheat (Head Retention)
2.5 oz Chocolate Malt (Color Adjustment)

Mashed at 150 for 60 minutes.

Hop Schedule for 65 IBUs
60 Minutes: 1 oz Summit
5 Minutes: 1 oz of Citra and Amarillo each
Flameout: 1 oz of Citra and Amarillo each
DH: 2 oz Citra, 1 oz Amarillo

Yeast: US-05 (2 packets)

There is certainly nothing wrong with your recipe, but I'd personally cut the 2oz of Citra in the DH to 1oz, or maybe even a 1/2oz. I have never used Summit but when I want Piney I always go for Chinook.

I'd also simplify the grain bill to the Two-Row, Vienna & 1lb of 60L. You'll get a ton of color from the 60, along the lines of SN's Celebration. I've never found that wheat does much for head retention, at least not what I expected it to do.

You can't go wrong with S-05, but I think 1 packet should suffice.

As far as cutting the Citra back to 1 oz, I've dryhopped a 8% IPA/DIPA with an ounce of simcoe and cascade and I didn't get the results that I wanted from the aroma. That's why I threw in a second ounce of Citra. I also want more of the Citra character to come through a bit more than the Amarillo in this beer. I thought adding an ounce more in DH may accomplish that without destroying the Amarillo contribution.

As far as the grain bill goes, I've seen/read a lot about how splitting up your Crystal additions into two different varieties gives a more complex flavor and aroma. Is that true, to your knowledge? If I take out the Wheat, should I add Carapils in for the head retention? The last beer I brewed had no Carapils added and it had a perfect head, but it was just the first runnings from a partigyle session. Would that be a reason for the wonderful head on the last beer?

Dlester, what "studies" have shown that? Or are you just being facetious?

With a pound of crystal, I would also ditch the wheat, you'll have plenty of head retention without it. The recipe looks like it will achieve your stated goal, though.

I am interested in the dry hop studies mentioned above, too. Always like to learn more about this hobby. Link please?

With a pound of crystal, I would also ditch the wheat, you'll have plenty of head retention without it. The recipe looks like it will achieve your stated goal, though.

I am interested in the dry hop studies mentioned above, too. Always like to learn more about this hobby. Link please?

Thanks, boydster. So, head retention can come by way of Crystal malts as well. So many variables so little time, haha. You don't think that there may be too much going on in the hop department?

i agree on the citra comments. citra will come through very well. pretty pungent hop. i would consider cutting it back 1 part citra to 2 parts anything else. it will come through ;)

i second the comments on the wheat as well. with a bunch of crystal and citra hops you'll get plenty of foam. on the other hand 1.066 is kinda light for an IPA. you could go up to 3# of wheat for some body. depends how you like your beers.

Nothing wrong with your recipe, I think it'll turn out nice. But if you're looking for some Piney notes, I'd maybe sacrifice 75% of the Amarillo for Chinook. The Citra will give you plenty of the fruitiness you seek.

Just curious... Doesn't Citra give you piney aroma with fruity notes as an afterthought, or are they kind of equal?

I think your recipe looks good. I'd also get rid of the wheat. Head retention will be fine with the crystal malts. I think splitting the crystals to a 20L and 60L is a fine way to go.

My only point would be in your statement that your intention is a pine-forward hop aroma with fruit second. Amarillo and Citra don't give pine aroma in my opinion at all! Citra is straight mango/citrus/fruit to me, and amarillo is orange/citrus/touch of pine to my nose. If you want pine/resin/dank aroma, I'd add simcoe or CTZ to the flame out and dryhop.

I don't have any problems with your amount of hop additions, certainly not your dry hop. Maybe just change the variety to get more of what you're looking for

citra is tropical fruit to me. a bit resinous. not piney at all.

piney would be chinook first and foremost. combined with simcoe it produces a good pine feel. perle and northern brewer are said to be piney as well.

I've noticed pine flavors from Citra, but it is highly variable from crop to crop, so your mileage may vary.

I think the recipe looks great. I just did an IPA with 2 ounces of citra at flame out and 2 ounces in secondary. It is pungent but it didn't overpower the other hops and I will most definitely brew it again the same way. I would go forward with your hop schedule. But it wont be as piney as you would like, in my opinion. I also like my IPA's to dry out more and finish between 1.010-1.008 for a lot of my recipes. I use less than 5% crystal in all my IPA's. I feel like to much malt character takes away from the hop flavors and aromas. I really like using different yeast strains to add character to the hops. I would also only use 1 packet of US-05.

ahurd110 said:
I've noticed pine flavors from Citra, but it is highly variable from crop to crop, so your mileage may vary.

This. I've never noticed it in my brews with Citra, but a friend picked up piney notes from my all Citra Pale Ale. I'm sure you'll get some, but I think it's still a good idea to add Chinook.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll throw in some Chinook to get that pine and maybe I'll cut back on the Citra in dryhop and maybe substitute what I cut back with some Chinook.

Latest posts

Back