IPA Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopNuggets

Reaction score
I have a bunch of whole leaf Cascade in my freezer that I want to use up. I was wondering what people thought of this recipe. I'm debating on 2oz of Cascade at K/O and 1oz dryhop vs. 1oz at K/O and 2oz dryhop. I like a light SRM in IPAs and find them less caramel/sweet really allowing the fruity hops shine. I'm also thinking of adding the 6# gold LME with 15 minutes left in the boil to try to keep the SRM lower then doing a full 60 minute boil on it. I've also been hearing that the maltodextrin is not necessary for body in this recipe. Any feedback is appreciated!

6# Gold LME
1# Golden Light DME
1# Caramel 20L
8oz Maltodextrin

1oz Warrior 60 mins (pellets)
1oz Cascade 15 mins (whole leaf)
2oz Cascade K/O (whole leaf)
1oz Cascade dryhop - 10 days (whole leaf)
1oz Amarillo dryhop - 10 days (pellets)

Safale US-05 w/ starter.

I'd definitely not use the maltodextrine- that will make the beer "thick" which would be very weird in an IPA. It'd be ok in an oatmeal stout, maybe, but I'd be inclined to use it rarely.

A pound of crystal 20L might give you some caramelly sweetness. If you like that, that's fine. I'd cut that, and consider using a "mix" of crystal malt if you still want to use a whole pound. Like .50 pound of 20L and .50 of 60L, for example.

I like the hopping!

I've done the Citra Pale Ale from MoreBeer.com and like how it turned out. The fermentables were 8# Light LME, 4oz Maltodextrin, 8oz White Wheat, 8oz Carapils, and 12oz Crystal 15L. Hops: .5oz Magnum 60mins, 1oz Citra 15mins, 1oz Citra 5mins, 1oz Citra d/h 10 days.

I wanted to get the SRM down a bit and have the body clean and crisp and not too caramely to let the hops fruity aroma shine. I think I'll remove the maltodextrin and see how it goes. I can always tweak it from there.

Latest posts

Back