Ipa recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trapae

Reaction score
Trying to write a good American IPA recipe and appreciate advice. I have never used Vienna, and also don't really know what carapils does for IPA but see it in a lot of recipes. Last one I did was just 2row pale and victory but something was missing. Also never used centennial with columbus.
Any opinions?
Thanks

Batch Size: 6.00 gal Style: American IPA
Color: 5.6 SRM
Bitterness: 70.0 IBUs Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.069 (16.7° P)
Est FG: 1.014 SG (3.6° P
ABV: 7.2%

Ingredients
Amount Name Type #

12 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
9.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
1 lbs 11.2 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
7.2 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.2 oz Centennial [10.0%] - First Wort
0.2 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - First Wort
0.4 oz Magnum [14.0%] - Boil 60 min
0.5 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 15 min
0.5 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 15 min
1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min)
0.5 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 10 min
0.5 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 10 min
0.5 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 5 min
0.5 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 5 min
0.5 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 0 min
0.5 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 0 min
2 pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast
1.0 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Dry Hop 5 days
0.5 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Dry Hop 5 days
0.5 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Dry Hop 5 days

7.2 abv seems a little high for an American IPA, you're approaching IIPA. For a regular IPA I personally would keep the abv around 5.5-6.5. Cheers

I would up the 60 minute bittering hop addition to atleast 1 oz. maybe even up to 1.5 oz.

The bittering addition did initially look low to me too but if it's coming out at 1.069 and 70 IBU I think that sounds okay, maybe close to the border of IPA/IIPA but you seem to otherwise have the hops for it. Could up the dry hop IMO. Carapils is generally for head retention but you likely don't need it with the C-20 and all those hops. The hop combo seems fine, overall it looks pretty good to me. I'd definitely mash this low.

Cool thanks for the advice. I know the 60 min bittering addition is low but I was hoping the 1st wort hops and all the rest make up for it because beersmith calcs come out to 70 IBUs. I added all the hops I wanted first, then just added the 60 min last to bring it to the IBU I wanted. Hopefully more hop taste that way?
T

Have you considered Amarillo instead of Centennial? I have found that it plays very nicely with Simcoe. In fact, that is my favorite dry hop combo.

i think your hop schedule looks good. any tweaks would be preference rather than accuracy.

i don't see an IBU break down on your hop additions but as a rule of thumb i bitter my ~1.070 beers to about 30-40 ibu with FWH/bittering additions. once i achieve that i don't bother counting IBU's since the rest of my hop additions are flavor/aroma. bitterness from aroma/flavor additions is negligable in my opinion. for me that initial bittering is all the bitterness i get from IPA's.

dextrine is protein. it gives your beer mouthfeel/texture. the idea is that fermenting sugar/body out of the beer leaves it watery. adding dextrine will make it feel heavier without adding sugar/flavor.

Trying to write a good American IPA recipe and appreciate advice. I have never used Vienna, and also don't really know what carapils does for IPA but see it in a lot of recipes. Last one I did was just 2row pale and victory but something was missing. Also never used centennial with columbus.
Any opinions?
Thanks

Color: 5.6 SRM
Bitterness: 70.0 IBUs Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.069 (16.7° P)
Est FG: 1.014 SG (3.6° P
ABV: 7.2%

Ingredients
Amount Name Type #

12 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
9.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
1 lbs 11.2 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
7.2 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.2 oz Centennial [10.0%] - First Wort
0.2 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - First Wort
0.4 oz Magnum [14.0%] - Boil 60 min
0.5 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 15 min
0.5 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 15 min
1.00 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15 min)
0.5 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 10 min
0.5 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 10 min
0.5 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Boil 5 min
0.5 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 5 min
0.5 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Boil 0 min
0.5 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Boil 0 min
2 pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast
1.0 oz Centennial [10.0%] - Dry Hop 5 days
0.5 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.0%] - Dry Hop 5 days
0.5 oz Simcoe [13.0%] - Dry Hop 5 days

Personally, I'd exchange the Vienna for Victory, change your Carapils for flaked wheat and up the Lovibond rating on your caramel malt to 40 or even 60.
I like Columbus as a good bittering hop and I'd adjust the amount and use it at FWH. I only use 2 ounces as FWH in my 10 gallon IPA. Save your Centennial and Simcoe for the last 5 minutes or flameout or split between the two.

Color: 8.7 SRM
Bitterness: 71.0 IBUs Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.065 Est FG: 1.014
ABV: 6.9%

12 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 83.3 %
1 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 2 6.7 %
12.0 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.0 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.0 %

First Wort Hops
1.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 60.8 IBUs

Steeped Hops
1.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min Hop 6 7.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 10.0 min Hop 7 3.1 IBUs

Fermentation Ingredients
2.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 8 -

My2cents.

I do think it's helpful to point out when suggestions are preference and when they are actually a problem with the recipe. Vienna and victory for example will be slightly different, but both acceptable. Same with light crystal/dark crystal/no crystal or wheat vs. carapils for head retention/body - all preferences IMO.

OP I just noticed that your grainbill looks almost identical to one of the original Two Hearted clones, I think first noted in BYO many yrs ago. Now I think most people go with NB's dead ringer which uses C-40 rather than vienna and C-20, but both apparently make a good beer close to Two hearted.
:mug:

That IPA recipe looks too complicated..i prefer simple IPA recipes

2 row, a touch of caramel 40 or 60 and a bunch of hops single variety and wy1056
cant go wrong

Aside from your precise grain weights and adding whirlfloc at 15 minutes, I think your recipes looks really good. If it didn't come out exactly as I wanted than I'd tweak the next batch based on how this one turns out.

I round most of my grain weights to even ounces because I don't think 0.2 or 0.6 ounce of crystal or other non-roasted grain will make much difference.

I add whirlfloc at 5 minutes because I've read that is the correct timing for that.

Overall, the recipe looks good. I would get rid of the CaraPils, though. American IPAs should be dry enough to let the hops shine through and CaraPils is going to work in the opposite direction (add body).
Vienna malt is similar to Munich malt (a malt with a rich, malty flavor), only less intense. Like Munich, it's great addition to any beer in which you want to boost the malt character. (Victory is entirely different, and adds a distinct biscuit-like flavor.)

Here's some info on American IPAs that might help, but your recipe as is would already make a nice IPA, I think:
http://beerandwinejournal.com/pale-hoppy-ales-intro/

Chris Colby
Editor
beerandwinejournal.com

dextrine is protein. it gives your beer mouthfeel/texture. the idea is that fermenting sugar/body out of the beer leaves it watery. adding dextrine will make it feel heavier without adding sugar/flavor.

Dextrin is actually a carbohydrate produced by mash enzymes from starch in the grain. The description of what it does to the beer is correct, I just wanted to point that out because I'm a little OCD I guess. Haha.

Overall I'd say that recipe looks like a solid IPA. I'm not a big fan of carapils myself, so I'd probably sub that out for a higher (40 or 60) lovibond crystal (which will give you pretty much the same head retention benefits) or sub it out for wheat. But that's just my taste. Good luck and have fun brewing!

Thanks for all the good advice everyone. I will report back with a taste review when it's done for any who want to know.
T

I was just thinking of subbing the Vienna for light munich, any good or bad experiences with munich in IPAs?

I'd get rid of the carapils. You won't have a problem with head retention with a big IPA like that, and more body is not what you want with that beer.

After making IPAs for years, I think I'm sold on a minor 60 minute charge (some high AA, like magnum or chinook), then all other hops in the last 3 minutes (or dryhop). Those 15 minute hops just don't give me enough hop punch.

Hops are cheap nowadays. Overhop the hell out of it at flame out. Kill it. Do staged dry hop additions. If you can, agitate the carboy (swirl?) during dryhopping.

Don't bother with gypsum.

These are my advice for a better IPA.

That pretty much sums it up. Not pointing out anything wrong just saying what I would do. OP asked for advice. Therefor, My 2 cents.
No need for the flame.

I apologize if you thought I was flaming you. I understood those were preferences but since you didn't say why you'd change the grainbill I just didn't want the OP to think there was something structurally wrong with it.

I was just thinking of subbing the Vienna for light munich, any good or bad experiences with munich in IPAs?

OP I think you're fine with the Vienna. I actually prefer it to Munich in an IPA. As Chris mentioned it will give a little malt backbone but not the more intense malty of Munich. If that's what you're after go with Munich. If you want more toast/biscuit go with the victory.

Dextrin is actually a carbohydrate produced by mash enzymes from starch in the grain. The description of what it does to the beer is correct, I just wanted to point that out because I'm a little OCD I guess. Haha.

Overall I'd say that recipe looks like a solid IPA. I'm not a big fan of carapils myself, so I'd probably sub that out for a higher (40 or 60) lovibond crystal (which will give you pretty much the same head retention benefits) or sub it out for wheat. But that's just my taste. Good luck and have fun brewing!

thanks for that. i actually wasn't 100% sure. i thought i read protein but i was questioning myself as i wrote it.

if we're going to talk preferences then my IPA's are usually just base malt. no crystal/cara malts, no dextrine etc. i use a 60 minute addition for bittering and then another 4oz of hops at 15, 10 and 5 or just 15 and 5. if it's something i'm showing other people i dry hop with another 2oz of hops. one each of what i used for flavor. otherwise i use the .5/.25oz leftovers i have just to get rid of scraps. for bigger brews that i want to dry out i step mash. i always pitch large amounts of yeast to ensure a clean beer. house strain in whitbread dry.

Back