IPA partial mash recipe. Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davrosh

Reaction score
I'm about to brew an IPA in the next day or so, and was just wondering if my recipe looks about right. Any suggestions or words of advice would be appreciated as this is only my 5th partial mash, and my first IPA.

I'm going for a bit of a mixture of English and American, but not as big brash and bitter as an all american IPA. I have some first gold left over and some cascade for flavour/aroma, and have some challenger for most of the bittering. Not sure how these hops will mix, but I suppose there's only one way to find out.

Heres my recipe which has been calculated with the brew pal iPhone app, which doesn't take into account the fact that I can only do a partial boil, so I don't know how accurate the ibu is (although my previous brews calculated on this seem to have been spot on). I have altered the settings do that my OG usually comes out near what the app says. Like I said, i doubt it's all spot on but it has served me well so far (probably jinxed it with that line...)

Maris Otter
2.35 kilograms 54.0%
Liquid Malt - Light
1.5 kilograms 34.5%
Torrified Wheat
0.25 kilograms 5.7%
Crystal malt
0.25 kilograms 5.7%

Challenger 7.7%, Whole 30g 60 mins
First gold 9.7%, Whole 15g 60 mins
Cascade 6.8%, Whole 20g 15 mins
First gold 9.7%, Whole 10g 10 mins
Cascade 6.8%, Whole 20g 10 mins
First gold 9.7%, Whole 5g 5 mins
Cascade 6.8%, Whole 10g 5 mins

Safale US-05

Dry hopped with 50g Cascade

23 litre
Original gravity 1.053
Final gravity 1.012
Alcohol (by volume) 5.3%
Bitterness (IBU) 49
Color (SRM) 8.1°L

Look ok????

I love it- even though I had to do some math in my head to convert kg to pounds. :D

I've never used first gold, but I love the idea of them with cascades. I think this will be great.

I love your grain breakdown. The only thing i would change (more of a personal preference) is to get a higher alpha hop for your bittering. I usually use summit, but again this is all preference.

Let us know how it turns out.

Cheers for the input. I think I'll just go ahead with my recipe then if there's nothing glaringly obviously wrong with it.

Re. Using higher alpha hops for bittering - challenger were the highest I could get weighed out from the shop without buying a pre packed 100g of something else. I could have upped the first gold at 60 mins, but I wanted to use them mostly late in the boil.

Cheers again, and I'll update once it's done.

Cheers for the input. I think I'll just go ahead with my recipe then if there's nothing glaringly obviously wrong with it.

Re. Using higher alpha hops for bittering - challenger were the highest I could get weighed out from the shop without buying a pre packed 100g of something else. I could have upped the first gold at 60 mins, but I wanted to use them mostly late in the boil.

Cheers again, and I'll update once it's done.

Challenger's a great hop, I use that to bitter most of the English styles I brew, those or Target. Personally, for that recipe I'd use challenger. :mug:

Just an update for anyone interested. It worked out pretty well. I would definitely recommend first gold and cascade for late hopping together. I'm actually surprised how much the first gold comes through bearing in mind how intense cascades can be and that there was more than three times more cascade in there.

Only issues are that I would probably go for a higher ibu (this might be due to my partial boils though), and maybe more late and dry hops (so in short, up all the hops).

Also, hit both my OG and FG pretty much bang on. Which is always a bonus...

Back