IPA low mash temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippox

Reaction score
Brewed an IPA yesterday
  • 134 IBU (According to BeerSmith 2)
  • 10 SRM
  • SG 1.069
  • Mash temp of 148 (I was supposed to hit 152 for 60 minutes)

Since I missed the 152* mash temp, I'll get more fermentable sugars, therefore I'll have a lower FG which means a bit more alcohol. This also means a drier less malty beer.

Do really hoppy beers like this typically have a higher FG to try and balance things out?

Second question is, I used RO water and totally spaced out and forgot to add Calcium Chloride and Calcium Sulfate. What negative affects should I see from this in the finished beer?

Actually its better to have a very low OG for hop forward beers. The general consensus is that residual sugars muddle the hop character. I mash my IPAs at 148 usually and add some cane sugar to dry them out

IMO, no negative effects, will actually make it a better beer. You can add the gypsum anytime if you want. It helps you perceive the hop character more. I've forgot to add it a few times for an IPA and added in in the fermentor with some sanitized water

Actually its better to have a very low OG for hop forward beers. The general consensus is that residual sugars muddle the hop character. I mash my IPAs at 148 usually and add some cane sugar to dry them out

IMO, no negative effects, will actually make it a better beer. You can add the gypsum anytime if you want. It helps you perceive the hop character more. I've forgot to add it a few times for an IPA and added in in the fermentor with some sanitized water

Thanks for the info. I assume you meant to say FG instead of OG (no big deal). I'll consider adding the gypsum and calcium chloride to the fermentor like you mentioned.

Thanks for the info. I assume you meant to say FG instead of OG (no big deal). I'll consider adding the gypsum and calcium chloride to the fermentor like you mentioned.

I would abstain from adding CaCl as it helps accentuate maltiness, just as Gypsum accentuates perceived hop bitterness/flavor. If you do decide to add any minerals before packaging, just make it gypsum.

In fact you might consider making no adjustments to your water, and take some notes as to how the beer tastes with just RO water. Next batch, make an adjustment and compare. This 'mistake' is an opportunity.

I'll agree with this. I don't plan to add them to the fermentor anymore and am going to see how it tastes in a couple months.

Brewed an IPA yesterday
  • 134 IBU (According to BeerSmith 2)
  • 10 SRM
  • SG 1.069
  • Mash temp of 148 (I was supposed to hit 152 for 60 minutes)

Since I missed the 152* mash temp, I'll get more fermentable sugars, therefore I'll have a lower FG which means a bit more alcohol. This also means a drier less malty beer.

Do really hoppy beers like this typically have a higher FG to try and balance things out?

Second question is, I used RO water and totally spaced out and forgot to add Calcium Chloride and Calcium Sulfate. What negative affects should I see from this in the finished beer?

I believe your talking about two different issues here. I personally prefer a dryer IPA, it enhances the hop flavors ie Russian River. Now if your talking IBUs the a higher FG or sweeter beer will tame the bitters ie Dogfish Head.

Its an IPA i would drink it fresh, because you are going to loose the hoppy goodness of all those hops you added.

Back