IPA Hops All Outa Whack!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmar836

Reaction score
So brewed my second extract batch the other night - AHS's Day IPA.

Here's what I was supposed to do:
1oz Nugget at 60"
1oz Galena at 15"
1oz Willamette at 0"

I added the Nugget and Galena but forgot the Willamette at the end. At 36 hrs, it started showing some yeast action. Been almost 48 hrs now.
Was planning to dry hop with Falconer's in a week or two. Should I dry hop in primary with the Willamette or will the lack of heat cause issues with the aroma hops?
What to do now?
Thanks in advance,
Dave

Looks pretty light on hops to begin with for an IPA. Willamette is pretty mild IME, I'd probably just add it to the dry hop at this point.

You could have a look at adding a Hop Tea at bottling.
I'm doing it for the first time tonight though so cant claim to be an expert

Yeah looks pretty light on the hops for an IPA. 4-6 oz of hops for a regular OG IPA is about standard for me. Just throw the willamette's right in the primary for the dry hop and you'll get some great hop aroma. Your IBU levels will probably be low for an IPA so it looks like you'll get yourself a nice hoppy pale ale. And I'm sure it'll taste great!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd go with 2 or 3 oz. dry hop for 7 days at room temp. Either willamette or cascade.

^^^ This

I dry hopped an IPA with 1oz willamette and 1oz cascade about a week ago. They're pretty much my go to hops for an IPA. Smelling pretty damn amazing at the moment, still yet to taste though. Time to cold crash and bottle!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well, since this is basically a recipe kit, I'm going to stick to it but thanks for the ideas to hop it up - I would likely enjoy the result!

I went ahead and added the 1 oz. of Willamette at about the 48hr point.

I really like the AHS kits but the instructions on this one had the timing listed strangely. The 15" addition is listed before the 30" addition(which was blank). Then the 0" addition.
I'm too ignorant to figure that out I guess. Actually, the 15" hops reminded me to get the two additives in there at that same time and so they snuck up on me. Maybe I was then thinking I was done.
Rookie mistake.
Thanks for the help,
Dave

They do - Falconer's Flight. I just hadn't gotten to the point of forgetting that one yet. Give me a week or two!

Dave

Latest posts

Back