Ipa fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blakimal

Reaction score
So this is my first ipa I've brewed, going by instructions it doesn't mention anything about transferring to secondary fementer. It's tells me to bottle after two weeks in primary or at right hydrometer reading! Is it safe to let it ride in primary bucket?

So this is my first ipa I've brewed, going by instructions it doesn't mention anything about transferring to secondary fementer. It's tells me to bottle after two weeks in primary or at right hydrometer reading! Is it safe to let it ride in primary bucket?

Yes, absolutely.

Agreed,
IT's actually safer to let it ride in the primary; transfering to a secondary would just increase the chance of infection. I have never transferred any beer that does not require lagering to a secondary and everything always turns out great.

You never really "have to" transfer to secondary unless you lager or wish to clear your beer up (lighter beers). I do this with most of my beers just to clear it up.

Also, I transferred to secondary on my stout because my coffee beans in my hop bag got stuck :cross:

You never really "have to" transfer to secondary unless you lager or wish to clear your beer up (lighter beers). I do this with most of my beers just to clear it up.

I would argue its not necessary for clearing beer either. Yeast and proteins aren't going to precipitate any faster based on moving it to another vessel. But I've not done a side by side, so do what you gotta do. :D

I secondary every beer for the "clear factor" only, next time try it and compare the difference cause you"ll be surprised...

I secondary every beer for the "clear factor" only, next time try it and compare the difference cause you"ll be surprised...

What are the temps when you do your transfer to a secondary with the purpose of clarification? do you cold crash it prior to the transfer or let it sit at a warmer temp for a day to ensure fermentation is complete or...?

I also noticed that beer cleared more quickly off of the yeast cake in secondary with no temperature changes between vessels. I'm not sure why this would happen but it did.

What are the temps when you do your transfer to a secondary with the purpose of clarification? do you cold crash it prior to the transfer or let it sit at a warmer temp for a day to ensure fermentation is complete or...?

I dont change the temp at all from primary to secondary, my first "beer Kit" in 2009 said to transfer to the secondary. After you see what drops to the bottom in the secondary just after a week its hard not to do it on any other HomeBrew in my opinion. Ive never done a cold crash thou.

I dont change the temp at all from primary to secondary, my first "beer Kit" in 2009 said to transfer to the secondary. After you see what drops to the bottom in the secondary just after a week its hard not to do it on any other HomeBrew in my opinion. Ive never done a cold crash thou.

I would argue that once you do a longer primary instead of a secondary (i.e. same total fermentation time prior to bottling, just in one vessel vs two) and realize that all that stuff that drops to the bottom in secondary drops to the bottom in the longer primary as well, you would never do a secondary again except in special cases. But that's just my opinion, having done both ways. Brew on with yo bad self.

I would argue that once you do a longer primary instead of a secondary (i.e. same total fermentation time prior to bottling, just in one vessel vs two) and realize that all that stuff that drops to the bottom in secondary drops to the bottom in the longer primary as well, you would never do a secondary again except in special cases. But that's just my opinion, having done both ways. Brew on with yo bad self.

It makes sense just never tried it..... Maybe one day :rockin:

Back